Nelson Products

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by IanMcP, Jun 27, 2007.

1. IanMcP

IanMcP LawnSite Member

I have been working for a landscape company for 4 years now and we install alot of irrigation systems. We use nelson products and I noticed there isn`t alot of talk on here about nelson. I was just curious if anyone had any input. I do all the service calls, and in charge of new installations, but the only defaults I see is the solonoids go bad alot. I also do not have alot of experience with other brands. Please give me your input
  2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

You'll find most of us on the forum have our favorites..the ones that give best
    performance over the years. I've never used a Nelson product..maybe they
    work fine. The bottom line is parts & rep support...are solenoids & diaphrams
    available without special order? Does the company change designs a lot so the valve you put in three years ago has to come out because of no parts?
    My preferences are reverse flow valves, they'll pass a lot more crap than the
    forward flows. If you're going to stay in the biz, pick a valve that you can get
    parts for ten...twenty years. Yep, I can hear a bunch of you saying"right,
    old timer, twenty years?". A quality valve should last that long, as long as
    solenoids & diaphrams are available.:) Welcome to the forum.
  3. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

My experience with Nelson products has not been good.
    The rotors are dependable but take way too long to adjust.
    The seals in both the rotor and spray heads will expand after a couple years causing them not to retract.
    The electric valves will leak around the bonnet plus the solenoid problems.
  4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Very limited nelson products here. From what I have seen of them, I hate them. take too long too adjust - my time is valuable. And leaking wiper seals. Seen a couple Nelson valves but no idea where they came from. Never seen them for sale here.
  5. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

If my boss told me to install anything Nelson,I would laugh in his face and tell him to do it...JK

I repair a lot of Nelson products..But up here in New England where I live it is not the lay of the land...
  6. Mad Estonian

Mad Estonian LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, if you do a search on Nelson on here, I don't think you'll find too many folks singing their praises. I'm only familiar with their rotors, and don't like them. Hard to adjust, and those friggin' caps always come off, that's the worst design. They're definitely popular products with the lowballing installers around here. But I understand, it's what your company installs, I doubt you have much choice in the matter. But generally, most folks prefer Rainbird and Hunter products by a longshot, with other good choices around as well.
  7. Greenguy1

Greenguy1 LawnSite Member

Well around here I replace Toro, Hunter, weathermatic and rainbird with Nelson 6000 daily, I have installed or repaired everything from Buckner to Orbit and I always prefer to use Nelson, they are easy to adjust and bullet proof, but don't think you can install them without flushing the lines first, they will not tolerate sand and gravel, Nelson as a company has been around for 100 years, had one of if not the first 5 year warranties. I have had some problems with the old solenoids that had a red and a black wire, it seems the wires were not good where they entered the sol. they have since been replaced with an all black wire model. However even the older ones lasted for at least 5 years before failing. As far as sticking up? I never knew of a head that wouldn't at some time, well I gotta go! cust. just called, stating he couldn't adj. his hunter rotor adj. hole full of sand and broke his tool off inside.
  8. Well this is a weird thread. You set us up to bad mouth Nelson and then defended them. Nelson used to be a REAL player in this industry for whatever reason now they AIN'T a player in this industry.
  9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Here's a valve that we "top ended" yesterday. It's probably 30 years old. Only problem was the brass studs where four of the eight of them spalled the threads at the very top wiping them out due to corrosion. I was able to remove the studs, flip them over and install a double nut on them to get them to re-seat into the plastic body. We're going to investigate stainless steel bolts for this purpose but I need to come up with the correct threads and length but shouldn't be a problem.

Double Nut Valve Repair IV-01.jpg
  10. My mistake-I just realized Greenguy didn't start this thread. Nelson is still a no show in DFW. I don't know how ANYBODY can prefer those obnoxious rotors to pgps.