Nematodes and Selective Herbicde

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by NJT, May 13, 2008.

1. NJT

NJT LawnSite Member

How well do these two co-exist? If I apply nematodes (NemaSeek) and two weeks later apply sel. herb, will the SH have an adverse affect on the Nemas?

I have no plans on applying both at once. Just need some input on spacing out apps for maximum effectiveness for both.

thanks.

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

NJT, Good question and one that may have several different answers. First it would be important to know exactly what the active (and inactive) ingredient is in the herbicide. I don't think the herbicide would penetrate very far into the soil to have an effect to the little guys, just my opinion though.

The plants that are killed would have been a previous home to rhizosphere microbes and nemtodes, so they eventually become bio-mass, no food, no life kind of thing

Its hard to know, you would actually have to do a count before and after to know for sure. Herbicides are typically very acid and even caustic in some cases, may have an effect

I don't remember seeing any peer review stuff out there, maybe find a nematode expert and ask 'em

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Some herbicides are more mobile than others in soils. If your concerned, it would be best to check up on the chemical makeup of the herbicide.

4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

and may i add that the soil will have an effect on the mobility of chems.

side note, char and pre M dont work well together

5. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Why is that TG because you

BIO REMEDIATED IT'S A$$

OOOPs sorry my bugs ate all of your pre-m

6. treegal1

something like that. and we see similar results with some of the hybrid guys in my area to, they get a little ahead of there program and skip a few weeks wait time and really undo what they have put down. then they ask me uh... what went wrong......... pre m and then some AM ...... uh the pre m did not work. that or they mis interpret the PRE part?

7. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

AM? how big is the organics down there business wise? A lot of competition?

8. treegal1

I Stand Alone, Many Have Tried, Most Have Failed!!!

9. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I love it, I plan on sticking around myself. I have talked to a *few* others around here, the one I actually met didn't seem to be doing to well. Had to dig him out on the internet just to get his number. The others wouldn't service my territory. I kind of hope they fail so I can figure the kinks out and then shoot off like a rocket. I have so many ideas in my head but I have to remember to get the basics down first, then were off. I seem to have a pretty good partner who does my maintenance so I got the basics covered.

This is already fun, I just can't wait till we get it going strong!

10. treegal1

yeh we are happy doing this. the others mostly failed with product cost, and lack of knowledge. most are bean counters and not real tree, soil, turf, plant people. we are blessed with the diversity and IQ of our staff. we got some real winners.