Nerve of some people

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Keegan, May 17, 2008.

1. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

Last year I had an account that as the months went by he got slower in paying his bill. Last bill came in November and he didn't't pay. I contacted him several times but it seems he ignored them. He pays in March just when we are starting to get ready for the new year.
    Sorry buddy you're history. (He's a lawyer and on the town council)
    He calls up the other night (9pm) and left a message saying he wants me to take care of his lawn again and to give him a call if I am interested. YEAH RIGHT!!
    My wife says I should call him back and tell him my schedule is booked already. Someone like him I might say something a little unprofessional. He never contacted me about what he owed me. Sorry sir you are now blacklisted! :hammerhead:

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would call him back to ask if it would be possible to make the payments a tee bit more timely this season.

That is, putting a light emphasis on 'tee bit,' very light, just a little tiny bit stronger than all the rest.
    Of course you might not be ready to tackle the rest of a possibly enlightening conversation that springs up, but it's worth a shot.

Should such a conversation ensue, the following answers appear to work well:
    "yes"
    "I see"
    "ok"
    "yes sir"
    and so on...

Now if you get totally lost in the high fallooting stuff just say "I'm sorry look I just want to mow your lawn"

3. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

Tell him to pay in advance and you have a deal.

4. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

exactly what i was thinking...pay a month in advance or no service!

5. bigtex

bigtex LawnSite Member
    from ma

forget'em. and thats sayin it politey. he's a lawyey, on the city payroll and can't pay you, some of those guys think there hot sh*t and can do what they want and piss on the small guy. unless you can need the account, i'd say seeya.

6. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

How much are you getting from this customer? If it's peanuts then why even consider taking him back. Now if it is a $50 or more per week then I would call him back and give him some line about how you need to be prepaid for services. Have him prepay one month in advance. Money is money. Take it when you can get it. I wouldn't be giving up any accounts right now. I'm anticipating several accounts requesting to be cut every other week in the next few months. Times are going to get tight, time to stick as much money as you can into your bank account.

7. Pre-pay.. Why take money out of your pocket if the guy wants your service?

Make him pre-pay a month in advance... and tell him it's just standard operating procedure with gas as high as it is... as you simply can't afford late bills.

8. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

No, I have to disagree ... just dump him and move on !! You don't need customers like that.

9. Bigdog9501

Bigdog9501 LawnSite Member

I think it makes good business sense to at least call him, even if you tell him no. JMHO

10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Do what I do....

inform him that it's Business policy to turn the statement over to collections after 90 days of non payment...

then let them iorn it out.....

Trust me when you start messing around with someones credit, they JUMP