1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pines, Feb 10, 2004.

1. pines

pines LawnSite Member

I need a little help, advice or pump me up. I just started with leaf removal this past fall and am currently doing minimal snow removal. I hold a full time job with the wife and kids and mortgage ( no diff than any of you) and here comes the Spring. My goal is to build this company up that I have created in order to provide for my family.....my fear is the transition in order to do so.
    Any advice?

TYLAWN LawnSite Member

Read alot more on this site. You will never really be prepared.
  3. juststarting023

juststarting023 LawnSite Member

Start part-time 1st year get your name out there and maybe the 2 year if you think you can cover your bills with the biz and home go for it .Took me a year and half to go full time but the wait was worth it. just my thought and the safe way.
  4. pines

pines LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. The biggest component that I recognize is WORK YOUR A$$ OFF and things will take care of themselves.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We all use to be new in this game ....
  6. pines

pines LawnSite Member

Best thought that I have heard so far!!!!
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

perhaps start with a part time worker and have them do the majority of the work while you are building up your client list. Then once the list is built, you can make the transition easier after one or two years, perhaps more.
  8. germann

germann LawnSite Senior Member

If you really enjoy your full time job, consider carefully. Self employment takes long hours, lots of capital, ability to live with fluctuations in income, etc. Count the cost before you jump.
  9. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Pines,
    My intentions are the same as yours. I am very eager to go full time with the LCO, but being that I also have a wife and kids, I need to stay patient and think things through. As I am getting older, I am starting to listen to the advice my dad used to give me. Back when I was 18, I was always right. Now I see, I was just stupid back then!
    Anyways, I would definitely stay part time for at least a full year, not only to try and build up the client base, but also to stash away some cash for when you do go full time. Try not to just use up the extra cash now. This way, when you do go full time, in case there is a drought or something, you will not be totally stranded with nothing to fall back onto.
    Plus, this will geive your company more time to get it's name out there, and with the name becoming more well known, you will start to pick up more and more customers.
    Good luck with the future, and let us know what you decide to do.
  10. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Some of the most motivated green industry people are the ones who lost their jobs and had to earn a living. Sometimes you just take the risks.

"When he reached the New World, Cortez burned his ships. As a result his crew was well motivated"