1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Net 100k

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Feb 10, 2001.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

I know in this business that our overhead is large, but was just wondering if anyone was able to net 100k (or close you dont have to give exact details) If so how many guys are working with you, how many hours average per week, how many months a year does it include?
  2. TylerAssociatesLLC

TylerAssociatesLLC LawnSite Member

to net 100k profit you have to gross atleast 400-500k
    so figure it out that way. it also depends what line of work your in and the amount of overhead.
  3. If you got 100K net the first time you hit 400 or 500K you would be lucky. Get to 600, then you should be netting a 100K without a lot of trouble. 500K gross net 100K is realastic.

Dale Wiley
    Landscape Business Systems
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

We had a simular discussion on ,how much do you make. Most people are reluctant to disclose their income- including me!
  5. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

This topic is about profit not about your income. Your pay should be considered an expense therefore the net would be the amount after you have been payed (plus overhead and such). Alot of people are reluctant to give out such information. Whether it gross sales or net profit many people will not disclose that information. Some trade magazines have bio's of large companies that actually include gross sales. Many of those are over 1 million, but I have seen a couple with $250,000 to $300,000 in gross sales.
  6. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

How many men do you guys think it would take to net 100K? I am curious about how many y'all think it would take.....Please answer.
  7. Bryan McMullen

Bryan McMullen LawnSite Member

I looked into buying a lawn service last year that was for sale in my area.I never met the gu that owned it because he had it up through a broker.He gave me a book that had everey detail of this guys businesse in it.He had no debt and grossed 207,000 and netted 80,000.
  8. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

39% profit margin?? That guy should be writing books on his secret formula. My CPA says most contractors are in the 5% to 8% range net profit.
  9. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

It's my belief that one guy alone could gross 100k. Now it all depends on how you calculate the net. If you have a truck and equipment paid in full, your only expenses are fuel and maintenance. 12 jobs a day @ $40 each $480 = $2,880 /week (6 day) = $11,520 /mos for 9 mos = $103,680! Throw in 4k for sidework and off season projects and you have 108k.

I set this goal for myself 2 years ago and hope to reach it 3 yrs from now. I believe it can be done, although I'm not sure if anyone would want to do it twice. Kinda like climbing Mt. Everest.
  10. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Though truck and equipment is paid in full it should still be taken in account for the fact that you paid for them (Number #1) and the fact they will depreciate over time (Number #2). Other factors labor, advertising, bank charges, payroll, TAXES..I guess some may not pay that (self -employed is 15% alone) and many others. Make sure you have everything accounted for.