1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

net 15 / net 30 and does anyone charge late fees

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by kandalawncaremgr, Jan 24, 2013.

1. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Net 30, not very successful in getting a late fee paid. It does post the late fee when I resend the invoice, but most don't pay it. I just drop the bad paying ones for the next season.

2. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe its because we are in the service industry, but I will never understand how someone can just flat out not pay someone for something that they did at their house.

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

3. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I hate losing customers, I spend money to get them, I dang sure want to keep them if at all possible.

4. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I don't understand it either, like I said I don't have patience for it, I lose my cool over non payers, I will work with people if they get in a bind but to just not pay is not an option with me!

5. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I totally agree, if you can't afford to have something done, don't do it. I saw it a couple times last year with a landscape company I worked with. We put in some big walls, and a sweet patio and re did all the gardens around the house and they tried to nickel and dime my boss to death. The funny part was that the wife would always send an email to my boss, and then say she would be home to "discuss her concerns" but the husband was the one who always came out to talk haha. Basically we determined that they had probably never spent much money before and nearly drained their savings to get a new patio. Moral of the story, if you have to do that, DON'T

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

6. kandalawncaremgr

kandalawncaremgr LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone for there input and experiences. I did some thinking and after reading the posts I decided net 15 with 10% late fee after due date. I hate the fact of charging a late fee but I could always waive it. I'm all about helping people if there in a bind but I hate avoidance. I explain to everyone if there's ever a problem just call. So we shall see what happens. Thanks again everyone.

7. Chencho

Chencho LawnSite Member

Net 15 for payment terms and I also call them to remind them on the 16th day that I haven't received their check. Persistence pays off. When they know your on top of it they pay you. I have a huge success rate with calling. I have my girlfriend call so I don't say something I shouldn't

I haven't done late fees yet. I am also a new business owner and haven't got to this point yet.

I've had a few issue but I just tell them "listen you little b*tch when you get a haircut do you pay for it next month? Pay me right now or one of my mexican goons will smash your windows and throw round up bombs on your lawn c***sucker" lmao I am kidding but I wan't to.

8. kandalawncaremgr

kandalawncaremgr LawnSite Member

Lol. That was funny