Net $60,000 a yr. as a solo. Can it be done?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JohnsonLawn, Jul 4, 2007.

1. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Just wonderiing for all of you solo guys. Is it feasible to net $60,000 a year on a regular basis working alone. Thanks

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I think you need to qualify your thread some Mike. Like, doing just one service (mowing), expected # of hours each week, part of the country you work in, etc.

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

If you do just mowing, it's possible but difficult. If you add in chemical applications & other more profitable services it is definitely possible.

4. JohnsonLawn

Sorry Rod, I mow 3 days a week and do small construction jobs (pavers, patios,etc.) 2-3 days a week. Work mostly 8-9 hour days sometimes 10. Plow in the winter (when it snow up here in Mass.)

5. JohnsonLawn

Another question, I was considering giving up the mowing and focusing more on the construction side of things next year. Are there any guys doing all construction as a solo op. I know lots of guys do only mow, trim and blow as a solo, but is it possible to do construction only solo. Thanks again

6. rodfather

You probably can. I would think 3 key issues would surface.

1. Keep your overhead to a bare minimum.

2. Keep non-productive and non-paying time to a minimum.

3. Do only what you're best by charging the most you can expect to get for your service.

7. JohnsonLawn

That is why I am thinking of going to all construction next season. People do not seem to value you as much as a "lawn boy", but when you build them a kio pond or a paver walkway, they sure don't seem to mind writing that check. Don't get me wrong, I charge for my work now and get top dollar. I have the theory that I know what I am worth and get plenty of compliments from clients and others on how good my work is, so I am going to charge for it and if newbies do not want to pay my quotes then they can call someone else. I just seem to be spending alot of time chasing my tail trying to cover all types of work and this equals non productive down time in my opinion. Thanks

8. rodfather

Sounds like specialization is for you then Mike. :clapping:

I learned (the hard way years ago) that trying to be everything to everyone just costs too damn much and you waste a lot of time (time where no $$$) are being generated. I have tools in my shop (attachments, etc.) that I have never used. That is money down the drain.

Good luck in your endeavors.

9. JohnsonLawn

Thanks Rod, can always count on you for sound advise. Much appreciated

10. lawnjockey56

lawnjockey56 LawnSite Member

short answer-yes-net over 75k is possible too