net / gross tax income question

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by PORTER 05, Feb 28, 2009.

1. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys i was wondering what the average % of net income is about right for a landscape company. We are doing weekly lawn mowing, spring/fall clean-ups, tree work, ect , also snow plowing in the winter. I am looking for the # that "me" the owner would be seeing after i pay all employees, all exspenses, all purcheses and all taxes, and was wondering after all that what % is about right compared to how much you gross in the landscape biz.

After doing taxes all week long im thinking that im around 36% after paying everything , paying all my taxes and buying a new dumptruck, this is what ill take home 36% of the total gross income i brought in in 2008.

Sorry if this is a little confusing , just looking to see if this is about right , really high or really low, i want to make sure to make changes if it is to low.

Thanks alot!

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

im about 30% so id say you are doing pretty good

3. Perfect Image TLM

Perfect Image TLM LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds pretty good, I am right around there as well...

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What you're talking about is referred to as gross profit margin,..commonly known as gpm. If you guys are doing 30 and 36%, you guys are doing real well.

5. FYS777

FYS777 LawnSite Silver Member

so say if you gross 100k you would net 36k after all expenses, is this correct, = 36%

then I guess I am doing very well also, kinda gives an idea what other parts of the country is doing.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I am a firm believer in the rule of thirds, if this is something you understand then
    I might mention the 33% bit can also apply to cost though it's in a bit of a rough way,
    as well as taxes, so that: 1/3'rd cost, 1/3'rd tax, 1/3'rd profit...
    And it doesn't always work out that way but it tends to hold true over time.

So roughly speaking, but yes.

7. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

FYS777 , are you doing 36% after or before taxes are paid?

8. FYS777

Those are examles but after taxes, for the last 2 years have been running 12% higher then said above, I do nothing but full maint, no installs. some bark jobs, up to 7 cu yards, all within 9 month season.

9. FYS777

just wont to add to though its different in different parts of the country,

10. FYS777

Another add, I do all my own repair and manit,work on all my equip. I dont no if that makes the difference.