1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

net / gross tax income question

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by PORTER 05, Feb 28, 2009.

1. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Usually your net income is before you pay your taxes. So if you did 100k gross and all your expenses totaled 70%. Your net income would be 30k. The 30k is also what you will pay Federal, State and self employment taxes on.

2. FYS777

FYS777 LawnSite Silver Member

the other way around, time I take out state feds, tax and the other. I get around 50% within a couple %.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  3. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

That might be the way your doing it but your wrong. Your net income does not include taxes. You can not write your own taxes off can you? If you pay quarterly tax vouchers you apply them at tax time on your net income. The only taxes you can write off are payroll taxes.
    In the eyes of the goverment, personal taxes are not an tax deductible expense. Therefore they can't be considered a business expense either.

4. FYS777

I know that, I guess I should have said, after all exp. and pay tax is calculated, my net is some were around 68% and because I profit that much I owe state and fed so much, I took that off, 48 to 50% is actually mine.

5. grasschopperofchicago

grasschopperofchicago LawnSite Member

I run about 50-52% net of gross pretax, definition of net can vary depending on what you are figuring...if I gross sales $280,000 my gross profit after expenses is about $144,000 and then pay taxes on that amount....

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  6. FYS777

thats good, you have to make a good percent, :clapping::clapping::clapping: called efficiency, and planing well

7. grasschopperofchicago

grasschopperofchicago LawnSite Member

2 New Dixie Choppers spanked me!---couldn't pass up the 0% financing for 3.5 years!!

8. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

ya i did 37% after i paid my state/fed tax.

9. ExtExc

ExtExc LawnSite Member

so to K.I.S.S. for everyone, and for future reference, lets use these terms.

Gross Sales
    Net Sales
    Gross income
    Net income

:)