Net Income ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassyfras, Oct 12, 2007.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm thinking about getting back in the biz in a couple years. How do these numbers sound?

10 lawns@ $30 per day=$300 x 5 days a week x 30 weeks=$45,000 per year gross
    30 aerations at an average of $100 (includes some getting seed and fert. others not)=$3000 yearly
    10 mulch/weeding/ light bush trimming @ an average of $250/per job-$50 worth of materials=$2000
    Spring and Fall Clean-ups 10 @ $200 - $50 for dump fees=150x10=$1500

Gross Income 51,000 per years
    - (15,00) for expenses and some equipment
    =$36,000 for the first year before tax

Is this likely. My numbers are averages for jobs. I have some equipment and 8 years experience. This would be done solo in about 9-10 months. The other months anything is possible. What do you think? I'd like to be at 60k before taxes eventually.

2. Crusis

Crusis LawnSite Member

If you can sell your services, you can certainly do it. Why not? We all have the whole Winter to think of better ways to get customers to give us their money. Which really is the final goal. I do X, you give me $$. It's a great thing, capitalism.

3. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks a good plan if the rain cooperates and you have good planning. If you have a year like this year and the drought gets your mowing and fertilizing cut in half then thats a bad thing. I have learned alot this year with drought conditions. I mowed 12 of my weekly accounts only 14 times. With a average of 27-30 mowings a year that can hurt. 30-14=16times per 12 yards at 40.00 =$7,680 lossed. Thats not including my commercial one which was not mowed 10 times at 325.00 a mowing =$3250. Thats just off the top of ny head I would have to get out the books and look at my other 10 residential weekly accounts. I really didnt set a money goal for this year but I can tell you that I have made less this year than last. I picked up a few accounts this year and thought I was going to "rake it in " but just trying to get through winter and start again next spring with a new slate. Will definately pick up a few more accounts just in case the drought conditions hang around. Good luck in your business!

4. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya I do fixed billing so thats never been a problem.

5. Mike Blevins

You mention fixed billing around here and you just shot yourself in the head. I know alot of lawncare companies and the only ones I know with a fixed billing is U.S. lawns. Its just not heard of around here. It would be career suicide here to tell my customers that they have to pay even if I don't mow their yard. Contracts are just not excepted here. You can land contracts on townhouses,apartments,businesses, etc. I have looked into this but these properties are bid so low it is almost funny. It is also hard to land these contracts for more than one year. I still have my first customer. I have good accounts that I have priced "right" and make good money on them. I dont underbid to get jobs like these uninsured people around here do. Its rampid and hard to bid against these jokers. Most of my customers are neighbors of the ones I already mow or word of mouth. I wish I could go to fixed billing I would have made alot more money this year! Its just not feasable here with these fly by night guys bidding yards at $15.

6. WildLake

WildLake LawnSite Senior Member

Likely, you won't start with 50 accounts. Could take a few years to hit that. It could end up being July of your first season and you have 10 accounts and no rain for 2 months. So unless you have the abililty to pick up 50 accounts very early, your totals could be way off. Thats sorta how my first season went. Now, four years later I could hardly be happier, but in reality that first year didnt go as good for me as it did on paper. Good luck

7. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Picking up 50 accounts is easy. Now picking up 50 quailty accounts could take a year or more.

8. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

holy cow! 325 a mowing? what in the world are you mowing man? a huge wal-mart or something:confused: i dont know of anything up here around knoxville that i could possibly price for that.:weightlifter:

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

$325 isn't much... when you start talking about $3250 / mowing, NOW you're getting big properties.

$325 / mowing is just something that takes 5 hours @ $60 / hour.....

10. Mike Blevins

Exactly I wish i was mowing for $3250 a mowing!!!!! The $325 a mowing is an apartment complex that takes just about 5 hrs to complete. Good account but you have to bid it every year and they will not sign a contract so its just year to year. I have talked to the owners and they are very pleased at the job I do but if someone underbids it then they will probably let them have it. Its just the way it is around here you constantly are underbid by some jackhole.