1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Net Profit Question?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chisolm Trail Landscape, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Chisolm Trail Landscape

Chisolm Trail Landscape LawnSite Member

Okay, here is our question? What what would we need to gross if our expenses are around 3500 a year to NET 60K? This is of course just expenses, not taking out taxes.

Thanks for any input here!!

2. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

YOu need to Gross 60K a year and your expense are 3,500 a year? ;)

3. Chisolm Trail Landscape

No, we would like to NET 60K a year and right now we are just estimating our expenses to be around 3500. Does this sound far fetched or something? Like I said though, this is expenses and not taking out taxes yet.

4. cutnedge

cutnedge LawnSite Member

Your expenses seem awfully low. If you worked 42 weeks/year, they would only be about $83/week. I promise you, you will exceed this expense estimate.

5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Expenses seem really low to get that much.

6. Chisolm Trail Landscape

Hmmm.....Okay, then can you maybe tell us what we would be looking at as for expenses? Or what most of you solo op's average in expenses?

Thanks

7. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

..........$63500.00

8. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

hehehe......

9. Ecobjs

Ecobjs LawnSite Member

I found starting out that doing a budget with every category you could think of was the best way to estimate expenses. The library will have plenty of examples. Some of the categories we used (this has changed several times over the years) Was Rent, computers, equipment purchases (line trimmers, mowers, blowers, etc.) Equipment maint. (filters, oil, belts, blades, etc.), state and local taxes (call your local office to find these out), business lic., insurances, office exp (paper, pens, postage stamps, etc.) I quess my point is to think of everything so you don;t get hit on the back in.

I hope this is what your looking for!! I will be happy to provide more detail.

10. Chisolm Trail Landscape

Thanks Ecobjs! I guess maybe our question is kind of redundant since not everyone will have the same expenses based on if they have new financed equipment or older equipment, plus taxes and insurance are so much different in other states. Maybe this was a dumb question to ask!!!!