Netafim/Rainbird Drip Tube

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by aquamtic, Mar 2, 2004.

1. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

Would liek to get some feedback from any of you contractors on how you are pricing out drip installations.

WHat are your preferences on the Rainbird verses the Netafim

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Are you going to install drip for turf? Or just the standard shrub/flower beds? Asking because I just attended a seminar for Netafim last week. It concentrated on the turf aspect of drip. They also had a contractor from Denver speak, that installs a lot of it. It was good to get the info from both the manufacturer rep, and a contractor who has installed it for a while. He even contradicted a few things that Netafim was saying.

Sorry I can't give any experience on the Netafim though.

3. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

If it's a simple install, Rainbird Dripline, with minimal digging I charge double what the parts cost. If installing in an existing planting with mulch, you have to estimate how much time you will spend moving mulch in order to hide the tubing.
    I prefer Rainbird Xeritube and individual emitters for shrubs/trees and perennials that are packed in real tight. This takes a little longer to install but is easier to customize based on water needs of the plants. (ex. 0.5gph emitter for ornamental grass, 2.0gph emitter for small tree) Point out water savings, over a few years, to customer and they are usually willing to spend a little more on install.

4. aquamtic

I am only using it for garden areas

5. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Netafim all the way. I use it for planting areas mostly. It works well for roses also.

6. aquamtic

koster-
    How are you pricing your drip projects?

7. aquamtic

Can someone share how they are pricing drip??

8. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I like the netafim. Good stuff. We use it for planting areas only. Can't be covered or surrounded by dirt. You can cover it with mulch though. It's a great way to water a lot of plants inexpensively.

I don't charge any different for a system that has 1 or 2 netafim zones that I do for a regular system. I use whatever makes the most sense for the situation. Sometimes netafim makes the most sense. But I don't charge any less. And I don't try to use netafim just to save money either. Like I said, I only use it when it's appropriate. But I do love the stuff.

9. aquamtic

Can anyone else share how they are quoting out, flow rate/spacing for most Netafim required situations

10. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

Jim Lewis?

The ground too hard where yer at that you cant trench it?

I use it under turf and it is the best.

NetaFim features a 70% reduction in water use and a 50% reduction in chemicals.

I won't share how I priced it.

BUt you ought to be looking at it much closer. Under turf is real nice in your average setting, unbelievable in other settings such as high traffic, Glass buildings, raised beds, grassy medians, car dealerships.

I used it in a different kind of green industry, and retired with the profits two years ago after using it for four years.