1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Netafim Users Only:Issues with ? pressure?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CAPT Stream Rotar, May 23, 2008.

1. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

First off I want to say I love Netafim, I think it is the best way to water tree/shrubs/gardens in the right applications..Anyhow I love it, push it on customers when possible..

So I get to my parents house today which I have installed many zones of drip with the proper reducer/ filter/ 17 mm 12' drip. I am adding on to a reducer filter that I have 2 and soon to be 3 zones running manually with 3/4 plastic ball valves..

I go to the supply house today after work, get my material fittings, male adapters, blah blah blah.. So my Father says he has a small leak in the ground around the fittings where we have 2 ball valves installed...When I installed these 2 weeks ago no drips existed. NONE! Now, TODAY, I put in my third ball valve using my less than 1 second heat on the fittings. I figure the leaks would get fixed cause I would make a mini Ram manifold. Do it proper like, nice an even equally spaced ect so forth.

Here is where the problem starts 3 times I cut out and re installed the manifold finding leaks on almost every fitting, 90's, T's, male adapters...
    I tape, use less heat, try every idea I can think of....So after I cut out the BS for the third time, I take apart the filter...Nothing wrong there. Then I figure check the reducer, when I turned on the water it went 15 feet easy through a 17 mm male adapter..

What I think could be wrong.
    1. bad fittings
    2. the reducer (25 psi) is not working..since i don't have my flow gauge I can't tell pounds coming out.. But it shooting so far leaves me suspect...

Any thoughts?
    This really stinks cause I push this product on all who will listen..I love it, still do...Im glad its @ my parents house so I don't look like a total Jackass.

2. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I am sure every one will tell me I am wrong but I doubt that it is pressure problem. many people around here install netafim with no filter, pressure reducer, or clamps on the drip fittings and feed it with 50+ psi with no leaks. I even called the northeast netifim rep to ask about this and he told me they only recomend the reducer to cover their a$$. I know the toro blue stripe drip even gives specs on pressure up to around 50 or 60.
  3. CAPT Stream Rotar

thanks for responding green monster...so what do you think it is..

Ive run 20 gpm through netafim with no issues before..so Im totally stumped...
  4. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

the only time i have had leaks is when i used the torch for a little too long and distorted the pipe. other than that I have no idea.
  5. no need of putting heat on drip connections......
  6. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Seems awfully rare that youd have leaks from all of those fittings. Also have seen Netafim without a reducer at the valve, with no issues.

Man up, use those cannons to get 'er together without the heat. I have used heat a few times since coming to polyland. I likey very much.
  7. CAPT Stream Rotar

Im gona buy some fittings tomorrow and use no heat...Ill see what happens.
  8. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I've never heard of the heat deal. Just muscle them on the barbed fittings (make sure to get it right the first time:)) and they should be good to go. Sometimes I run into issues with a threaded connection x barb, sometimes use tape.
  9. CAPT Stream Rotar

I always use tape on threaded fittings pvc>pvc

but im going to try the no heat and see what happens..

for years ive used heat no issues...ever...

Just friggin weird.
  10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer using the barrel fittings that you insert the netafim into, instead of the barbed fittings.

No leaks either :)