1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Never been asked to do this need some help

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cod8825, Jul 9, 2007.

1. cod8825

cod8825 LawnSite Senior Member

A customer that we have mowing asked to give a bid on weeding some flower beds that are out of control with crabgrass, curly dock, and yellow nutsedge. They basically want us to put something down to kill all the weeds for the season or close to it.

I told them one of the issues is that they do not have any barrier between the ground and the mulch. Any recomendations on products I am thinking of using extended control round up.

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

You could kill all of it & then use a pre-emergent. I would think that would help prevent some of the new weeds from starting up anyways. There is no way to keep everything from coming up for the entire season in one shot. I'd offer a bi-weekly check-up to spray for any new weeds.
  3. cod8825

True I thought of that they are hopping that I can spray something on the entire mulch bed that will kill all of it and keep it for the season I thnk a preemergent would be a good idea.
  4. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

Hate to sound like the jerk, but first make sure you've got a license... second if you got guys to do it and its weeds like nutsedge I'd say hand pull it down to the bulblet... be careful w/ round up and let people know that nothing "just stops weeds period" I have a few customers, older people who tell me back in the day they use to spray their lawn once and they never saw a weed for years... They must have used dicot krypton because Ive yet to find a simular product.
  5. cod8825

Oh let me ship some dicot kyrptone to you. Yes just received my license but the sad part is other than round up I don't know other products that well. They wanted me to give them a quote to kill some clover. Other than lesco 3 way which I have had for like two years there is nothing else that I know.

Been reading posts and chemical manufacturers websites for tech specs.

Keep em coming.
  6. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

If there are flowers in those beds, you don't want to use a sterilent.

Spray and/or pull the weeds that are present and apply a pre-em like Snapshot. It won't keep weeds out for an entire year, but it will minimize follow-up spot-treatments.

Those customers can't have exactly what they want.....
  7. EcoLawn  Inc.

EcoLawn Inc. LawnSite Member

We use snapshot in the spring while we are mulching. After cleaning the beds up, we apply the snapshot and them mulch over top of it. It works very well for us.

Also, offer a weed control program in the beds. We offer a program to spray once per month. Some companies I know of offer it bi-weekly, but I feel that's overkill. Once per month is sufficient. Mixing Round Up Quik Pro with a weed control like Battleship or Horsepower works well. For heavy weed infestations, I've even added a couple drops of Quicksilver for faster killing power.
  8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I have a customer with approximately 10,000 sq. ft. of mulched beds. This year I've been using Treflan 5G. It was considerably less expensive than Snapshot and has done very well. We are still fighting some nutsedge and bermudagrass but the more I keep spraying them with glyphosphate, the less they keep popping up.

Maybe one day, I'll get it all.:confused:

By the way: For you guys who've been using Snapshot, what advantages does it offer over Treflan and others? I know it covers a broader range of "undesireables", but what are its advantages? I don't mind spending the extra money but only if it's worth it.:)