Never been so excited...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mrusk, Aug 12, 2003.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Guys i been reading here for about 6 months now. I always had an interest in mowing lawns and landscaping. For years i wanted to mow but when you live in the country lawns are for apart and without a drivers license it is hard to mow any lawns. But since i have turned 17 and bought a truck i realized i could finally start mowing. I been reading up on what kind of mower to buy for awhile and i just bought a new exmark 60in lazer liquid cooled. I am tottally pumped up for spring and can't wait to get out their mowing and making some money. My dad also bought a wet saw and a tamper. I want to get into pavers and walls also because i here there is great money in there. About a month ago i did a wall all by myself and had a great time doing it. It turned out good too! I know most people just started mowing lawns to put food on their tables and started out with much less expensive mowers then me. However i am starting out with the intention of building a landscaping giant that dominates the whole county. I want to make it big. With my determination, work ethic, and correct equipment i am sure one day i will have the size company i want. To pay for the mower i am selling my 2 4 wheelers to pay for it. One of the quads is a 250r that i dumbed loads of money into it to go racing. But i guess i've grown up and realized if i want to make something of my life i am going to have to give up some things now for more later. All my friends think i am crazing for dumping 9k on a mower when i could of bought a crotch rocket. But i figure in a couple of years i should be able to buy whatever i want.
    Saturday i pick up the mower and begin the 1st day of the rest of my life. With the thousands of tips i've picked up from this site i am sure i will be successful.

Wish me luck.
    Matt

2. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Good luck young man. Just remember all the luck and breaks you get will be the result of your own hard work. Have a good time doing what you do but remember to get a good education too.

3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I know education is important. I am going to go to the community college in the next county over because they have an excellent horticuture program that also spends a good amount of time focusing on the business side of the business also.

matt

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

matt--welcome to the biz. lots of fun to be had doing what you propose. hang in there...kick the competitions butt and enjoy it before it becomes work. good luck.

GEO:)

5. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I was in your shoes not long ago, two winters ago actually. When I finally accumulated the equippment needed mowing was all I thought about all winter. Longest winter of my life I couldnt wait to get started. Wish you the best of luck.

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Mrusk,
    Does my heart good to hear a youngster with a good attitude and a good work ethic.Keep the positive attitude along with a good work ethic and you will succeed in your endeavors.
    Good luck,and by the way,yes you have a better mower than any I currently own so maintain it well.

7. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Cool, like reading this kind of thread.

Best of Luck to you!!............;)

8. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

Best of luck Matt,
    Sounds like you're already shooting for the stars and as others said, hard work will pay off.
    Try to check out a book called "The E Myth" by Michael Gerber

9. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Matt, great choice of mowers. I just looked at a 72" Lazer Z w/ liquid cooled 31hp. and fell in love. I'm jealous! That 60" liquid cooled is a great machine and will give you years of trouble free mowin'. Just keep the maintenance up and you'll have no problems. One other thing. If you don't have the mulch kit get it.

Love to read a thread from a young man (or woman) with so much integrity and fire in their soul. Best of luck to ya!

10. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck to ya Matt!!!!

Remember though, building a biz that dominates the county takes employees...Employees if not dependable, will bring a biz down quick, and give ya a bad rap.

Build slow and dont get yerself overwhelmed. Takes a couple of employees not showin up for a couple a days to get ya all worked up, and strugglin to keep on top of things..;)

Got myself in that situation now. Was on top of the world!! These guys were a ball of fire until a couple weeks ago. All of a sudden thier personal life changed, they got all stressed out, missin work etc... Who do ya thinks payin for it?:eek: