Never Before Asked Blade Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by deerex, May 19, 2007.

1. deerex

deerex LawnSite Member

Would aftermarket blades from j thomas or whoever last as long as stock blades if the only difference was blade thickness? I think they would if 99.9999 % of what you were mowing was grass and not stones or whatever else there is to mow. What do you all think, and why?

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Well i would say oem blades have better steel,itz still cold rolled steel itz all soft i have run after market blades season after season with no problems,you get a super high lift in after market oem is mostly med to low lift.

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

It's almost a "catch-22". Thicker blades would last longer usually if all you mowed was clean grass and not rocks and other debris. But then again, if that's your mowing conditions and blades last you that much longer, why not go ahead and spend the money on the more quality blade? You don't have to buy them that often in those conditions anyway.:)

4. deerex

deerex LawnSite Member

does anyone else have experience running aftermarket blades compared to oem? Will they last just as long if they are identical looking except for blade thickness and you are cutting just grass and not stones, rocks etc. Also is the cut quality the same? I guess the reason I am asking is because aftermarket are about half price as oem.

5. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I would try the after markets you always need blades.

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I can't tell a big difference. I can almost get 2 after market blades for the price of one OEM. The after market blades have always done very well. I'm very careful but the blades take a lot of abuse from hitting th occasional rock to sticks etc. From that point of view a after market blade would seem to be worth it. I could tell the fusion blades lasted a bit longer but I didn't like the design of them. I liked notched high lifts and at the time they only offered solid foil for my application. On another note I got some no name gator type blades form J-Thomas one time and after the paint wore off I could read the name Oregon on the blade. They have since changed suppliers of the gator type blades but I have not doubt the steel is of decent quality.

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Mower company's don't always manufacture their own blades so your getting after market blades anyway some of the time.

And that question has been asked before.

8. deerex

deerex LawnSite Member

I figured it had but I did a search and couldnt find it. So I titled it to get attention. Thanks for the info I appreciate it.