1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Never built a pond before

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by GREENTIMEJG, Sep 15, 2007.

GREENTIMEJG LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I have never built a pond before but i am going to in the near future. I have looked at many pictures of pond that I do not like and have seen only a few that look natural.I understand that in some settings a pond and fall will never look natural with dirt built up behind a fall. My question is if you have a slope to work with can you bury the biofall so that only the part that shows is the area where the water comes out? My other question is can you have a smaller pond above in a flat area and then just pump water into that and then have a fall built so that when the top pond fills it will dump water down the fall into the larger pound on the bottom.:drinkup: :drinkup: This may seem like a stupid question but I am just trying to come up with some different ideas and would like some information if anyone has an opinion. thanks.
  2. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

for ponds in flat areas you can use things like the old hand pump to create an effect (and sound )
  3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

better to post this in the pond forum.....

to help you make your pond look natural ask yourself and jot it down What is natural? (to you) Go visit some real ponds and take pictures of the marginal area's, take pictures of stream beds then look at how mother nature does it.

ponds tend to be bordered by marshy areas, and waterfalls rarely fall into a pond, they are usually spring fed.

if your hill is fertilized you will not want to place your bio-falls box into it at ground level or you will get ground water infiltration.

to make your pond look like it belongs you must design it to fit in with its surroundings: ie, if you want a pond next to your hardscaped patio, consider it a water feature instead and use srw's capped with bullnose coping.

These pictures are from the Allan Block website

4. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a really great pond photo for you, but Im on my laptop at the moment. I will post a photo of a pond that we built right into a 30% slope, where the bio-falls is embedded into the grade. We used coarse wall stone for the backdrop and round Delaware boulders near the water. It looks pretty natural and not like Mt. Everest in your backyard. Hope this will help you out.