Never buy a walkbehind vac with the chipper on it.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by instyle, Sep 15, 2007.

1. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

Just after the warrenty ran up on my billy goat, the crank shaft base blow up. My vac has the 5hp briggs and when mated to the huge heavy vac/chipper blade it is way too heavy for the engine. It is hell to start, when you turn it off it takes a good 20 seconds before it stops turning...the whole time it is slowing down, it is smoking like crazy. To start it you have to pull it soo hard and slow that the machine wants to tip right over. Finally the engine had enough abuse and the base of the crank(holding the impeller) broke apart. And at 3500 rpm it make one hell of a noise when a 20 lbs impeller is spinning freely in a circular chamber.
    It sucks because i spent $1300 on a vac, and now i am screwed. If i replace the crank it will just happen again. $1300 down the drain.

2. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries LawnSite Senior Member

Lawntec,

I am sorry for your troubles. We have sold many of the TKD series of Chipper vacs since the mid 90's and have many satisfied customers. It does indeed take longer for the engine to wind down when you turn it off as well as more pulling power to start it up. However, this should have no impact upon breaking the crank unless the impeller is out of balance or bent.

If you want to convert your TKD512SP series to a KD512SP you simply buy the KD512SP (PN 900353) impeller and leave the tamper in the chipper intake. If you don't cover the chipper intake you'll loose airflow. Other than no longer having the heavy impeller an its respective characteristics the vacuuming power will be the same.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

3. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

It may now be out of balance. About 2 weeks before the crank broke, the impeller bolt came out and the impeller spin in the case for a good three seconds before it stopped. It was stillunder warrenty at the time and it was fixed. But now this happens.
    What is the cost of the impeller with out the chipper?

4. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries LawnSite Senior Member

If it vibrating badly don't use it. Take it back to the dealer. We balance everything here to minimize vibration. Vibration will definately cause premature engine, crank shaft (or both) failure. The list price for a KDSP impeller (no chipper) is $91.08. I would also drill two sets of perpendicular small holes through the chipper chute and put bolts through it. This will keep anyone from inadvertantly using it and possibly hurting themselves or the machine.