Never Done Spr Clnup

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by corycc, Mar 13, 2002.

1. corycc

corycc LawnSite Member

I have never done a Spring Cleanup job but will this Saturday. I think I have all the equipment I need except maybe for a vac which I plan to rent. The yard is 1+ acres with many small to medium sized twigs as well as a decent amount of leaves. I have a bagger for my WB but will that work for sticks? Would a yard vac on wheels work better on twigs? or will I have to use a rake? If I do have to, I will be raking for at least 3 hours...not fun. I also have a mulcher on my smaller WB but figured that was out of the question. There is also some flower bed work to be done such as trimming, pruning and weeding. What equipment, besides obvious hand tools, will I need?

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

for flowerbeds use a blower for the leaves, hedge trimmer for bushes, and other misc hand tools. for the lawn some stuff u can chop up with mower (will damage the blade) rest of the stuff just pick up and put in a trash can.

3. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Take these 14 years in the business for what its worth. Save your money on renting a vac. The money you save rent a good walkbehind blower (little wonder, Billy Goat etc) Thats if it is in your budget for the job. Again if its in your budget buy a tarp. You can put all the bigger twigs on the tarp to haul. Do the pruning first. Then Blow the back of the lawn first to the front. When it looks as if the blower is'nt moving the pile tarp it. Then blow again. Rake the leaves out of the flower beds onto a tarp along with the pruning clippings. After that weed and edge beds putting the debris on the tarp. The walkbehind blower or ground blower as I call it will save you tons of time. If I were to do this job I would need the following:
    Spade shovel
    back pack blower
    ground blower
    tarp
    rake
    hedge trimmer
    WB with catcher to finish if its a windy day.
    And there's the play by play my man
    :D Travis

4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

mulch the leaves with the mower or bag them with mower, chopping them up makes less to haul away.

5. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

If there is alot of hedge to be trimmed get a gas or electric trimmer. It will save an amazing amount of time. Thought i could handle 1+ acre yard with hedges all the way around with a hand trimmer. Experiance is the best tool to learn from.

6. SUNSHINE LAWN

SUNSHINE LAWN LawnSite Member

Well said AGG LAWN MAINTENANCE, that method for clean ups works well. Although I did a clean up today with 30 mph swirling winds, blowers were of little use, it was like pis_in in the wind. Had to use a hand rake a bit, almost forgot how much I like to use them!