Never had a real vacation ('til now)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnspecialties, Dec 15, 2005.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

OK, here's the deal. I'm a local firefighter with a pretty successful lawn care business on the side. I've been in the business since 1999. Next month, we're hauling the travel trailer to Disney for nine days. I've never really took a vacation (more than 3-4 days) since doing lawn care. I do all the work myself and certainly couldn't leave during the summer. Do I inform my customers of my absence or not. Here in NC, January is the time you sometimes pull up to an account and just drive off. Often it looks like I had just left the place. The leaves are gone and the grass and shrubs are just laying there. Some customers won't care but you never know if someone will want to know why they got billed for the full month. Sometimes what they don't know won't hurt them.:nono:

2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I say take your vacation and enjoy. Your customers will not miss you in January for one week. Sometimes you just have to get away, I'm sure most of your customers will understand but I would not tell them.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

That all depends on you. If you think this might bother you WHILE you are your vacation, you might want to talk with them. Why are they being billed in the winter for nothing anyway? Did you figure up their total about of cuts and divide by 12 to come up with a monthly invoice amount? Also, when you do visit, it's just normally just pull up the house and leave.....I personally don't think they will miss you.

4. lawnspecialties

Thanks to you both. Yes walker, they are billed monthly with everything (cutting, fert., overseeding, aerating, etc.) included in the price.

And no, I won't be bothered while in Florida. I get along really well with my customers. Unless something unusual happens like a tree falling or something, most will never know I didn't show. NC lawns in January just lay there anyway in January.

Christmas and then Mickey Mouse; pretty good outlook here.:)

5. ODUrugger

ODUrugger LawnSite Member

Change your voicemail or answering machine message and have fun!

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

One of the benefits of having a partner, who happens to be my brother, work wouldn't stop.

However, I would inform your customers of your absence if no one else is there to answer phones, perform the work etc. Just my opinion.

7. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

I am still amazed at the number of businesses on this site that expect to be paid when no work was performed. I guess I just don't get it. Hope the auto mechanics don't learn of this: "Well I just drove by your house and your car didn't look like it needed a tune-up, but enclosed is your bill for parts and labor". Most old ladies will never know whether the tune up was done or not, so why not just "bill em" anyway?

A contract should be beneficial to both parties. They weren't "invented" to just guarantee lcos a steady income.

8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

all of his services throughout the year have been made into 12 monthly payments, the work was done and is just divided up thats all

have a great vacation, im in your boat, no real vacation except for honeymoon 13 years ago......

9. lawnspecialties

Thanks Dave, I will. Hey Burns, many people like having a contract with no surprises. I don't charge these same customers a dime extra in September when I'm there 5-6 hours aerating, fertilizing, and overseeding. They're getting their money's worth and more during the growing season; it balances out in the off-season.

As for your weak auto mechanic analogy, some people buy a vehicle and pay for service (if they have the money) when they need or want it. You are that mechanic. Some people buy a vehicle and purchase a warranty or service plan that covers these services. I'm that mechanic.

Would love to talk more but I have monthly checks I need to go record in my account.payup

10. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

I misunderstood, I thought you were concerned about going on vacation and not doing work that you had been paid to do, and having to explain "why they got billed for the full month."

So, what was your question and concern about?