Never owned a Ford

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Doc Pete, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

It's a manual shift, not on the fly. Also, I had a good talk with the dealer. Since I never paid for the mirrors or steps, but only assumed I was getting them the dealer worked with me. He installed factory steps at the factory "cost" and then gave me the big mirrors and installed totally free of charge for their screw up.
    I'm picking it up tomorrow. After 9 years with a GMC, I hope the Ford with be as good and maybe better.
    PJ, did you run the new WB yet???? And, thanks about installing the controller. Maybe I'll have you come down and demo the new mower and let you install the controller. OH, I'll pay for coffee:D
    Pete... and Thanks everyone for your help..........

2. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I had heard a lot of stories like this before I bought my truck. But the truck I wanted had the elctronic shift so I took it, 149,000 miles later I have not had a single problem at all. Maybe I just got lucky.

3. Bill Renda

Bill Renda LawnSite Member

Gotta post pics, we just love pictures. :blob3:

4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

You mean like my mascot Spencer and Joe.:D

internet ready field mascot.jpg

5. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Well, its a ford so you need to...

F flip
    O over
    R read
    D directions

....when it breaks down on ya. lol

Had to throw that in. At least its not a DODGE!

6. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I just about bought a new ford but ended up with a Chevy. One thing I noticed about the ford is the engine oil requirements on the 5.4. They specified 5w-20 I think. Check your owners manual. Just seemed odd to me.

7. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I just got done mowing a lawn and a very prettylady came up to my pass side window, rolled it down and first thing she said was I just love the sound of a big diesel:) , I said oh ya, and looked at my wedding ring.

8. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

me neither, my 99 and the 2002 has it no problems.

9. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

In cowboy/girl country you see many many beautiful girls riding in and driving diesel pick ups. More Ford PSD than any thing else but also a fair number of Dodge trucks and a couple of Chebies.

I have had a lot of girls turn their heads and stare and wave at me as I roll by in my 2000 F Super Duty PSD. Of course I often go around the block to look at them and wave again for the second or third time. :D :D :D

10. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

That's something they started in 2001. Primary reason: To increase the CAFE among their whole fleet of vehicles. Even though trucks over 8500 (I think) GVW don't fall under this, they use the 5.4 in 1/2 ton trucks that do. The 4.6 is the same way as is the V10. I have a 01 Mustang that calls for 5-20 as well, but have been running it with 5-30 synthetic since about 5,000 miles. 5-30 was called for in these modular engines prior to 2001, so it should be just fine. They made no drastic changes to the internals in that time. Just a way to up their fuel economy across the board :)