Never say Never

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gator-town, Jun 2, 2004.

1. gator-town

gator-town LawnSite Member
    from bfe

I am starting this thread in the hope that someone could enlighten me as to why this industry should NOT be regulated, much like any other business … I feel the underlining concern in many of the threads I have read with respect to NOT retaining (or losing) work on this forum is that this industry just does not get the proper respect that it deserves … IMO this is primarily due to the lack of governmental control, regulations, sanctions, or at least some type of standardization, or requirements to be a member of this industry … YES … I am suggesting jumping through one more hoop guys for the sake of public opinion, and to legitimize this industry … I play by the rules and charge prices that I feel are comparable to many other industries in my town, of whom most are regulated either by the city, county, state, or federal government … these are legitimate businesses paying for licenses, insurance, and taxes unlike some in this industry … unfortunately, this thread will fall on deaf ears as most of those not playing by the rules do not read this forum, or even their owners manuals for that matter … therefore, public opinion, and subsequently the fees they command, are in their favor for one reason … they are legitimate profession … do not nick pick the fact that there are those in all industries that are not on the up and up, and never will as long as there are loop holes in the system … I named this thread “Never say Never” because it use to irritate me when someone would suggest mandatory licensing for Landscape or Lawn Care businesses … my first impulse was “more regulation and governmental control of an industry that just didn't need it” was unnecessary ... as I begin to spend more and more on the requirements to maintain a legitimate business my animosity toward government control is lessening ... honestly, who here would want to play organized ball against another team who ignored the rules ... I am only asking that there be a law that you must be licensed, and that you have the minimum amount of insurance to protect both you and the homeowner … you can say let your work speak for itself and hope that is enough to keep your clients … I beg to differ … I am saying provide a level playing field for all and then let your work do your bidding … Do you agree, disagree, DGAS … what is the answer … Thanks .

2. John at JDH Select

John at JDH Select LawnSite Member
    from Indy

The only opposition to this sort of plan will come from those incapable of running a professional, licensed, insured business. I spend countless hours creating a professional atmosphere for my clients and employees. We fight the good fight on a daily basis, yet may be blind-sided by a pathetic attempt at professionalism by a part-timer without proper business experience. Some on this forum say not to worry about the lost accounts, or not to worry about the part-timers working for cash. I DISAGREE!!! This is my career choice after twelve years as an accountant. I am a professional and believe we must take every step to make this industry a team of professionals.

... If not now, when?

3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I would agree that there are problems within this industry...like everything else in life. But every time there is a problem, why do we always look to a/the government to fix it?
    Self-regulation is the best form. The old saying, "Be careful what you wish for." will be probably go a long way here. How would you like a special mowing tax a special environmental tax based on acreage and you have to keep all the paperwork. Sure laugh, but when we whine enough for uncle Sam to get involved anything can happen. So does the benefit of regulation out weigh the risk of being "over" regulated.....I think not.

If you feel strongly about it, take an ad out in the paper or have someone from your local paper do an article on your business regarding the proper choice of a lawn service. Educate the public. That's what it's all about.

4. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I agree and add that we need the same things up here in Canada. An industry without standards is like a car with only three wheels, it can only go so far before it will crash.

5. gator-town

from bfe

does the fact that I am incapable of running a business mean that I will never be able to ... NO ... learn from a legit business experience and go from there .
    before those of us that do play by the rules are replaced by those that don't .

6. gator-town

from bfe

highgrass ... excellent point .

7. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Someone in this thread (and elsewhere) said, "The cream will rise to the top" If you are really good at what you do, and you tae the time to be a professional, then that won't happen. Over time, the rif-raf will fall away. If you educate your customers and give them the knowledge to recognize quality, the rest will take care of itself.

And, there nothing wrong with being agressive.
    Example...last week I stopped my truck along the road next to a property that is being done by a ....well...HACK. I just stopped to look at the grass without walking on the property. The owner was outside and came over, looked at my truck and we bega to talk. He began to ask me questions...basic stuff about his lawn. I simply said, "Sir, you should be asking your regular guy about this stuff." He said he was and that he wasn't sure that he new what the guy new his stuff.
    The moral of the story? If the customer new 10% of what most of us know, they will make a better choice of who to pick and who not to pick. Education.

8. gator-town

from bfe

I too have become educated

9. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The government already sticks its nose where it isn't needed. Sorry to hear that it sounds like you're struggling, otherwise why would you be looking to the government for help? Like the government needs more justification to reach it's greedy hands into my wallet!

I don't agree that we should have to PURCHASE a business license cause it would just be another reason to pay money to the gov at regular intervals. For what? What service do they provide us that we should pay to be licensed? However for harzardous material (chemicals), yes a license should be required.

10. gator-town

from bfe

remsen ... thanks for your input .