Never Seen So Many Lawn Tractors In My Life!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MMLawn, Apr 19, 2005.

1. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Just came into my office from going over a commercial contract that I signed and man on the way in I most have passed a dozen Minivans, tiny SUV's and P/U's pulling little tiny 5x8 trailers with home owner Home Cheapo lawn tractors out trying to get "customers". Times either must be harder than I realized or popularity of LS has sprunned a lot of wannabes... :D

I also was talking on the phone to Grass Scapes here in Greensboro last evening (SORRY for not being able to meet you this AM to test that JD Stander as I got tied up with a new commercial) and I HAVE to start keeping my digital camera in the truck! I got behind a dude yesterday driving a 90's model Nissan with a curved shaft weedeater hanging out the side of the trunk and it was tied down with a shoe string and a towel throw over the back seat and a cheap Murray in that backseat with the handle bars coming out the rear passenger side window! Now that's one sharp LCO!!
  2. kbinion

kbinion LawnSite Member

No one is as good as you. :waving:
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Thats kinda how I got started, A john deere stx38 in the back of a pick up. I was searching for 1 or 2 yards to help off set the price on my mower and it was back in 1994-95 the Elnino (spelling) years and no one had time to cut grass. Just being exsposed to the public and word of mouth put me where I am today, solo operator making a living, not getting rich but enjoying life and having fun doing what I do.

On a more serious note, I think as the price for gas and other things rise, more people will try to mow yards for some extra $$$$$. Also right now its pretty outside and the 1st or 2nd pretty week we have had, wait on till the 85's hit with 90% humidity, that thins them out alot
  4. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Don't worry, everybody can cut grass but the will and ability to survive long-term business is another story. Nothing new, every spring is just like this but you know in order to stay long run you must have the right equipment and the right business practice.
    Fine by me.
  5. 3sons

3sons LawnSite Member

Sounds like we all need etiquette lessons from MMLAWN. :) The poor guy is trying to make a buck and gets slammed for his efforts. He could be robbing your house instead of cutting grass to make the extra dough.
  6. Cut

Cut LawnSite Member

Someone should start a picture thread of the ridicules station wagons and what not that has weed wackers hangin out windows and crap!!
  7. Doc_77

Doc_77 LawnSite Member
    from IL

haha i wish i took a picture of this guy aerating my neighbors yard yesterday...
    had an old 1980 something Chevy rust bucket. an old flannel jacket < probably from the 80's also > long Grey Beard jeans and a mullet .. i was kinda laughing to myself until he got the aerator stuck on my fence :angry:

oh well at least the pot he was smoking along side our house smelled good :dizzy:
  8. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

How funny... around here, 85 degrees during the middle of a normal summer would be a godsend.. you'd probably see MORE people starting mowing "businesses".
  9. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I saw some one trying to aerate ( I think) a lawn with one of those garden claw blue and yellow handle things you see at home cheapo. It has 4 spikes on the end of it. The guy was slamming it into the ground as if he was in the ghetto killing roaches (yes I grew up in the ghetto with roaches). I almost stopped to talk him out of it but figured why bother, I'd probly crack up laughing in his face.....
  10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Dang humidity and the heat index is what makes it so bad here. Not sure bout Texas, never been there,but I bet its hot too :waving: