Never seen this one before... Any experience?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by hoskm01, Dec 12, 2005.

1. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

So I pick up the maintenance contract on my girlfriends mothers funeral home (part owner/manager). I notice there is water running through the lawn, but can't figure out where its coming from. Pressure is a bit low, but sufficient, grass looks good. (no rain in 96 days now). I finally get the time to spend some time investigating and find the leak.
    [​IMG]

Thats what I found. Used the camera phone for lack of a better camera, so its a bit washed out on the assembly itself. But count them 1,2,3,4 90deg elbows. Nipple was broken coming off the tee you see in the hole, not a clean break, hence the remaining pressure in the lines. Amazing, I couldn't even begin to conceive using something like this in an install. Mom tells me they were a local company that specializes in extruded curbing. In my opinion, they should stick to the curbing.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, thats a home depot 2" pop too isnt it...Orbit?

I've seen that done before.

Just replace it with a swing joint and be done with it :), you do have a nipple extractor right?

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I'll bet a mower got the nipple coming out of the tee. Definitely looks like someone didn't know how to get from Point A to Point B on a particular plane by using swing material. Like Jon says, extract the nipple, set a swing/sprinkler and the job is done.

4. Planter

Planter LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Looks like a time and materials job by some rookie. The more time and materials it takes the more profit. Doing that work insures that someone will get to replace it again the next year and that is more time and more materials. Pathetic.

5. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

im just a novice here but couldnt you have just taken a peice of poly pipe and a couple of male threaded barbed fittings and done the same thing, but made it look a lot more clean.

6. Dirty Water

Joe, heres the proper way to install a sprinkler head.

[​IMG]

I add a marlex fitting (MPTxFPT) on the end and then screw a head in.

Something like this:

[​IMG]

Images courtesy of IrrigationTutorials.com

Some people (Hayes) like to use a rigid SCH 80 nipple instead of the flexible 1/2" swing pipe, as long as you have marlex elbows on each end they will rotate to absorb any stress put on the head (mower running over it etc).

A solid pipe like the one in the picture will snap.

7. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

John, the first option is what i was refering too

some black poly pipe and two male threaded marlex fittings, that seems to be how they tell the homeowners to do it, but i think it would be just as good as the swing joint in the picture below.

seems kinda simple

8. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Swing pipe is precisely what I used, simple and fast, cheap for me. Couldnt believe the construction, just appauling. I just about fell into the cave it created unnder the topsoil/roots. Can't wait to fix the rest of them as they go out through the yard.

9. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

Didnt Toro originate that kinda thing with there "Funny Pipe" and marlex elbows?? or did they just actually market it as somthing new?? back in the early 90's (remember when i was about 5 watching a episode of hometime where they installed a sprinkler system, later got the tape as a birthday gift)

10. Dirty Water

Toro started the "Funny Pipe" name...I'm not sure if they were the first. I use Hunter HFT-100 swing pipe...but still call it funny pipe from time to time.

Judgeing from repairs, late '80s early '90s is when it became popular.