Never thought I would ask

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by chris638, Dec 19, 2007.

1. chris638

chris638 LawnSite Member

I recently finished the landscape design, but I started looking at it and there is one part I just think could be better. It is the section in between the circle brick driveway and the sidewalk. It is the third pic where I try to take a closer picture of. I'm thinking about eliminating the grass, planting a boxwood hedge around the inside edge of the brick, 4-5 layers of perennials toward the sidewalk and then wave petunias along the bottom edge. I hate to ask, but I have hit a block and I know I can make it look better. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to keep the two Aristocrats there. Zone 5/6. Just started basing in the drive in between snow and rain. I'll keep pics updated.

IMG_2882.jpg

IMG_2923.jpg

IMG_2928.jpg

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

-How about Maple 'Paper Bark' for the trees? I can't make out what you have there.

-Make that wave of Coreopsis into Boxwoods.

-The dip in the center that you see from the road.......fill with Nepeta, Echinacea and Rudbeckia.

-Replace the (6) Hyrdrangea with Nandina 'Dwarf Harbor'......so not to hide the bark.

-Statue in the center

-Sarcococa groundcover mass.

**Crap, I just looked at the wrong area.......but ideas none the less I suppose.

3. STRINGALATION

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

Nice looking plan view.

i like tthomass ideas with the barberries in the back and some dwarf boxwoods up front
    i think the nandinas and the barberries is alot of red. maybe the golden euonymous

4. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

I would say replace barberry altogether for knockout roses. And possibly cutting back on the corepsis and add in another perennial to add another texture/height.

5. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I forgot to add something for the Barberry......I hate that plant unless I'm planting in far away.

6. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

How much is that house selling for and how large is it? Just curious

7. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I'd change the back yard. Never put a pool in the center of the yard. Just bad design.

8. proscapesvirginia

proscapesvirginia LawnSite Member

Looks like a narrow lot with the pool as far to one side as it can go with nice placement in proximity to the back deck/patio area. The landscaping/hardscaping will probably make it a comfortable extension of outdoor living area. Just my opinion.

9. chris638

chris638 LawnSite Member

I believe it is a 3500 sq. ft. ranch with a finished lower level of approximately 2400 sq. ft. The builder that is building it is a family friend and long time customer. It is actually the same blueprint of the house he built for himself 2 years ago. He told me once that he had close to 900K without finishing the basement. Everything about the house is top notch.

I like the idea of the paper bark maples.

The pool was nearly a necessity to place it there. The fence is on the property line and I had to leave enough space in between the concrete and the fence to at least put some grasses. Trust me I tried it a hundred different ways. I used a scaled cut out and kept placing it in different areas until I found the right spot for it.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

It looks impressive, but at the same time, to me it looks very busy...
    A lot of contents.... cramped.

Have you thought of thinning it out some?... Making the plantings a bit more sparse...