never thought id ask for bid help

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by HPSInc, May 9, 2011.

1. HPSInc

HPSInc LawnSite Senior Member

i never bid stone work but i have to bid a job tearing down TWO 12 x 8 foot "planter boxes". the old blocks are deteriorated. I have already priced my block materials with crusher stone, and will get new plant prices tomorrow with some soil and mulch. my only question is labor cost. i have to obviously take them down (looks like 2 courses with cap) rip out all the plants,dispose of all materials, and then build new boxes and put in new plants and mulch. the job is close to me, getting materials is also very close, so not much driving involved. I'll have 1 helper. we are both skilled tradesman so i feel we can knock the job out in a reasonable amount of time while still doing an A+ job. but i feel i have been shooting too low on jobs lately and im not doing myself any favors. i need this to be worth my time but dont want to be rediculous either. i'll pay my helper maybe around 15/hr or so. so materials aside what would be a good labor cost total for both. i have yet to crunch the numbers myself but im a bit curious what others would do. here are the two boxes. I have 3 days left to place my bid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KINGMADE

KINGMADE LawnSite Member

15 an hour for a helper? I take it, it is probably a buddy right? Get rid of him. Get a hard worker at 9 an hour and pocket some more money. I have no idea what I would bid, but knowing me, I would be LOW...... and hating myself the entire job.

3. HPSInc

i like how you think. yes its a buddy. probably paying him too much since i dont think hes ever done anything like this before but he is a skilled guy..sort of jack of all trades, and does have a dump trailer id be using too. i have a dump truck i own that i could use if he didnt work out. i just know he sees dollar signs on a job like this and would want a piece of the action. trust me id love to find a good lower wage worker. just not sure if i can. Also, im afraid to bid it too low and hate myself the entire job as well. thats why i need some opinions. i dont have to be shy here on this job. these people are used to paying top buck for stuff. just dont wanna be outrageous.

4. CHRIS92789

CHRIS92789 LawnSite Senior Member

I dont think you are going to be seeing huge dollar signs on this job... It looks like it might take 3-4 hours of work max, with you and another worker. Calculate the hours that you will be working ( 4 hours) x a base pay like $80.00 = 320.00 - (60.00 for your helper)= 260.00 in your pocket at the end of those 4 hours. That is what i would do. I honestly do think you are paying your helper to much money why not just use your dump truck and hire someone else or just do it yourself.

5. HPSInc

yikes, id rather stay home than take that job on for 260 bucks. i think your shooting too low.theres $1400 in new block and crusher stone alone for the two new boxes. then figure a few more hundred for plants, soil, and mulch. i will very well be around $1800+in materials. theres no way in hell im ripping those down, digging out those old plants, hauling all that stuff off to the dump, buying the material and digging new bases and building two new stone boxes plus new plants and mulch for a lousy 260 bucks in my pocket. and i think 3-4 hours is way underestimating the time it will take to do both of these correctly. I worked for a large company and i know for a fact they would have 3 guys on that job for days. granted they milk the breaks but still with only 2 guys i dont see a complete tear down and new build in only 3 - 4 hours.

6. CHRIS92789

CHRIS92789 LawnSite Senior Member

There is no way in hell this would take more then a day with 2 skilled workers and the proper material. Maybe the pictures dont do it justice..
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. grassman88

grassman88 LawnSite Member
    from mass

i think i could get that down in 6 hours with a helper (12 man hours) 35 and hour $420-90 for helper(i would only be paying 10 at the most) 330 in your pocket so about $2200 for the whole job

8. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Price your materials and then figure out your time. Just remember, if you do not do this type of job everyday it will take you longer then you think.

Make sure you include the time it takes you to pick up material and also go to the dump afterwards.

I think i would shoot for around 8 hours in time.

But let us know how long it took if you do get the job.

9. VanAllen's Lawn Service

VanAllen's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Yeah I would do it but I'm needing the money, but if you have better things to do then just ditch it. I would do it though, just ditch the buddy.

10. HPSInc

i do not have to take on this job but i do want to. i did some block work for 1 season with a mason at my old company. but i primarily have been landscaping the past 8 years still, i know im plenty capable. it seems the consensus is this isnt a very profitable job. i dont feel 250-350 bucks in my pocket is all that great for this. i have made more doing cleanups and trimming. and thats cake. i dont think there is anyone in my area who would touch this job with a 10 foot pole for a few hundred dollars labor. i know block work here costs the bucks..i dont know if it matters or not but this is for a commerical account and is the entry way to the development. im going to meet up with a mason tomorrow and he is going to give me his opinion. i'll see what he has to say about it and post up.