Never trust your dealer, and a deck setup question...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fiveoboy01, Apr 29, 2010.

1. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Last couple weeks I have had a lawn or two that looked brownish after cutting, as if the deck were too low. Shrugged it off as grass not completely out of dormancy.

Today after the same deal I checked my deck and at the 3 inch setting, the blade was TWO INCHES from the concrete. Dealer never did set it up correctly, and I haven't discovered this for 2 years... Amazing I didn't lose customers, but the issue didn't show up on all the lawns.

To make matters worse, this is the 60" Z, as you all know wide decks are already prone to scalping even when the height is correct.

Today it was a brand new residential account. I called the customer, explained what happened, apologized and gave them a 100% discount. Lucky for me, they were very understanding and are ok with it all...

Shame on me for not checking this myself. Don't trust the dealer to do it right.

What's the proper pitch for deck setup? And where do you measure it? I assume the bottom of the deck skirt on front and back?

2. CLS LLC

CLS LLC LawnSite Senior Member

3. frotis

frotis LawnSite Senior Member

How did you not notice in the first few seconds of cutting?

4. fiveoboy01

It didn't happen with the entire lawn. Its somewhat bumpy and there are high spots, I attributed it to that. as I said on the smooth lawns there were no issues other than the fact that I was unknowingly cutting too low.

I blame myself just as much as the guy that set it up for not checking.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. coxslawncare

coxslawncare LawnSite Member

could something have worked itself loose? I would think at somepoint in the past 2 years you would have noticed that it was cutting at 2 inches instead of 3

6. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

2 years of cutting at 2 inches???? shame on you, not the dealer

7. fiveoboy01

Did you miss the part where I blamed myself TWICE for not checking it? I bolded that, maybe you won't miss it this time.

I share the blame, but is it too much to ask when you drop 8K on a brand new mower that the deck height adjustment is set up correctly? Maybe not, but I'd expect it....

All I'm saying is check it yourself, even if it's a new machine. I have definitely learned a lesson. Luckily it hasn't costed me any customers.

8. fiveoboy01

I don't think so. There is a threaded rod on each side of the deck with jam nuts to adjust the "L" brackets that the deck hangs from. The jam nuts are all tight, so I don't think anything would have came loose or moved out of adjustment.

I just think that the reason I haven't noticed it is that the machine doesn't get used on rough or undulating terrain, I use the narrower deck stuff for that to prevent scalping or low marks from one side of the deck digging in. I've picked up a few residentials this season that I can't justify using a 48" mower on because they're large, and that's where the issue has been showing up. No change seen on any of the other properties.

9. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Try checking the height every month to keep an eye on it. All decks slowly drop and need adjustment to keep true. PIA but that s the way it is. But since it was new and already wrong sucks worse. I say the dealer is the main blame. Those guys are just a bunch of sales men wanting to gouge your wallet. I would go back and tell them about it with a very questiony attitude. Ya gotta put these guys in line sometimes, you re the one with the money, right.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I have always had more than one lawn mower,
    this isn't the reason but I would certainly notice
    a height discrepancy right away.

That having been said, I can't say I've never pulled off some mega blunders before,
    two years too low, that's a good one :p

Oh well, as they say, could happen to the best.