New 05 Grasshopper 327: Did I get a good price?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bassngrass, Mar 27, 2005.

1. bassngrass

bassngrass LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the great advice in previous posts. I finally settled on the Grasshopper 327 (60 inch deck, LC 27 hp Kawasaki). I paid $8890 and had the dealer throw in a free mulch kit, light package, and extra set of blades. Do you think I got a good price?

I was originally going to get the 16 bushel clam-shell, self dumping, collection system (1900.00 installed), and buy a less expensive unit (227 or 223). But i decided to get a better machine (327 gets you LC 27hp Kaw, and 21cc hydro pumps, larger tires and frame.) and go with the mulching kit first. Do you think this was smart?

Let me know what you all think? I Know you will!!!

Jim

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yah, you did fine. The only thing I don't like is that Kaw. That engine had a really hard time passing testing on these machines. I didn't get the bagger because of the price. They mulch very well and discharge well too.

3. bassngrass

bassngrass LawnSite Member

Should I have gone with the 227 model with the AC 27 hp Kohler? Do you think that LC Kaw is unreliable? I can still change the deal. If I go with the 227, I can probably afford the Bagger.

Jim

4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Honestly, it's only a couple of hundred more to step up to the 22hp diesel (not the 21hp!). It will also run 3-5 times longer than that Kaw. The 22 hp seems low but torque is what you want. You can "tune" those diesels way up. Mine runs better than the 928d/428d.

5. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

If it cost an extra 1000.00 I would still get the diesel! It would be well worth it in fuel cost in the long run.

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am a Grasshopper dealer. A lot of testing was done before Grasshopper decided to ues that 27LC Kawi engine. It is a very good engine, and is used on a lot of different brands of ZTR's. It is a nice step up from the 227 with the 27 Kohler engine. both are good dependable machines. We have not sold any with the 27LC Kawi, as most people do not want to pay the extra price, so they just buy the 227. The only place you will notice a difference is in the speed of the two machines. With the bigger hydro drive components, the 327 is a faster machine. The Kohler machine will be cheaper to repair if you ever have engine trouble. The big selling point on the liquid cooled machines is that the engine runs cooler and thus will last longer. I can't say if that is true or not.
    I like the Kohler engines myself. If you are working on big hills a lot, then the bigger hydro components might be another reason to go with the 327. Otherwise, I would get the 227 and use the money saved for a collection system.
    The diesel is a lot more money. I don't think the average person can justify the increased cost of a diesel powered mower. It would take many years to ever see that investment pay off.

7. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

That sound like a wicked good deal. The LIST price for a 223/52 here is a wopping $9200 but they will sell it to you for $8800-8900. Just for kicks ask your dealer what he would sell a 223/52 for. :waving:

8. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

are you sure you want a grasshopper. The local dealers around springfield are not known for caring for the commercial cutter! If it is for home use you will probably do ok with there service!

9. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't let him BS you on the Kaw engine. Many companies run them on their higher end ztr's. I have one on my Exmark lazer and couldn't be happier. I know several others who run them also. No complaints from them either. The dealer is fond of that engine too. He stated good power, fuel economy and few problems. Sounds like a winner. The Kubota diesel is probably one of the best small engines made. If I had another couple grand lined up for this machine I would probably go with the Kubota. If you don't want to spend that much, the Kaw is still an excellent choice.

10. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

:waving:
    :waving: :waving: