New 06 Dodge w/ Cummins question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Travis Followell, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I just bought a new 06 2500 quad cab 4x4 the other day and i'm wondering what can be done to as far as the exhaust goes to make it really sound good. It's just too quiet the way it is. I don't want to spend a lot of money putting on a aftermarket exhaust system or anything and the cat converter can't be removed or it will void my warranty.

I'm thinking just take the muffler off so it'll be a straght pipe from the cat convertor. How will that sound? I can have it done for around $50.

Any help is appreciated.

2. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

do you own a hacksaw??

3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

remove the baffle abd you'll sound like a semi

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Where's this baffle at and how hard is it to remove?

5. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a 2001 Dodge with a Cummins and I did just that... I took it to a muffler shop, had them cut out the muffler and weld in a piece of large diameter straight pipe in it's place. The exhaust in front of the muffler and behind were left stock.... It sounded great, just loud enough to be happy with, not so loud it would make people mad. It really did sound great. I would at least try it before spending big bucks on a aftermarket exhaust that is just the same as what your talking about doing only a little bigger diameter

6. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

It won't sound much better as long as the cat is on there. It's hard to get the new ones to sound as good as the 12 valvers or even the 98.5+ 24 valvers.

7. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

i took the muffen and the converter off mine
    i spent $45 a year ago, and my brother got his done for $38 this summer

8. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Even my 2001 had some kind of cat converter on it. I thought I would leave it on to avoid hassles if I needed to get the truck fixed while still under warranty. Trust me, it sounds just right with just the muffler removed. If that isn't loud enough and you don't care about the warranty, then go back and have them take off the cat converter.

9. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

That was a resonator. The 1998.5 - 2002 trucks had them. It was there for sound reduction.

10. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

I will agree with this. The 03 and newer engine do not sound nearly as good without a muffler as the earlier trucks did.

If you want a better sound out of your 06 I would look at replacing the muffler. There is no need to a whole replacement exhuast system, but a good replacement muffler should help out the tone of the exhuast.