1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New '07 Super Z 2566

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by erervin, Jan 31, 2008.

1. erervin

erervin LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Just purchased my first ZTR. It's a '07 Super Z with the 25hp Kaw and 66" XR-7 deck with Flexforks. I bought it from the Kawasaki/Hustler dealer in Nevada, MO. Very pleasant buying experience. I'm using it to mow my 4-5 acre fescue lawn and pond dam. I'm replacing the old 52" MTD and 42" Husqvarna that were salvaged mowers.

I demoed a friends '06 24hp Honda w/ 72" deck and was very pleased, but I haven't got a chance yet to put mine to use. I've heard good reviews of the 25hp Kaw. From reading other posts it sounds like the 25 mated with the 66 may be a bit underpowered for commercial use, but being used on my personal yard once every week to week and a half I think it'll be sufficient.

How does the XR-7 deck do in Kansas fescue? My dealer mentioned something about a deck kit that will eliminate blowout from the front of the deck. He said he'd put it on for free if blowout was more than what I thought it should be. What kit is he referring to? Are there any downsides to it?

MTD & Husq.JPG
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Welcome to the family!!
    The kit he is talking about is the air containment kit, this stop air from "rolling" out the front edge of the deck, in some cutting conditions or when mulching or catching it is recommended.
    There is not a down side to using it that I am aware of.
  3. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice mower- So when are you going to burn the old riders?:laugh::laugh:
  4. erervin

erervin LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

The past two years have been nothing but breakdowns on the MTD. The Husqvarna has been reliable for the most part, just slow and narrow cut. The MTD sat in a barn for two years before I decided to take it and revive it. Just dropped $175 on new belts and spindle assemblies. It has a stong 20hp B&S so I hate to leave it. I use it to mow near the water's edge on the pond so that if I do get stuck I can pick the rear end up and move it.
  5. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I own the exact mower you puchased.
    I'm in springfield, so the mowing conditions are similar to yours. The mower will do fine on tall fescue.
    While most want to biggest engine they can find, I have been happy with the 25 Kawasaki on the 66 inch deck. It will be a little slower mowing for a few weeks in the spring.
    Enjoy all your free time this growing season. You will be shocked how much quicker you can complete your mowing. You will have so much fun you will be looking for grass in your neighborhood to mow.
  6. Hunter73

Hunter73 LawnSite Member

What is the msrp on the air containment kit?

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad to see you shopped with Dennis, Hes got a great dealership there. Enjoy your new Hustler.
  8. erervin

erervin LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Dennis and his wife met us on a Sunday afternoon so that we could pick it up. They're great people! Sounds like they have a great reputation on their shop work as well. I recommend them to anybody looking to buy a Hustler in Eastern KS and Western MO.
  9. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

When you operate the new Super Z for 1 minute I'll promise you will ask yourself, how in the world did I ever mow with something as slow and cumbersome as a lawn & garden tractor. You will ask youself the same question each time you mow with the Super Z.
  10. grasskicker71

grasskicker71 LawnSite Member

Come back and let us know how much time you save yourself.Should be a great mower for you.