New 12 zone irrigation controller recommendations

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Earthlinklandscaping, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Earthlinklandscaping

Earthlinklandscaping LawnSite Member

the fact that its almost 20 year old is a good reason to replace and the customers want an easier one to use! i think the electircal issues are with the timmer itself and not the irrgiuation system wiringing

2. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

Yea, I'm sure you're right. Buy a new mower while you're at it.

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

A new controller isn't going to fix field issues. Replace it or not, you still need to verify field wiring.

4. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

Go ahead and replace the unit. When the new controller starts blowing fuses immediately you can either come back here and admit that everybody here was right about your field wiring issues OR you can call an irrigation professional in your area and have him bail you out. And to answer the question from your last thread: Give them the controller at cost and charge them $26 to install it....That should cover everything. Oh, and you should go to Home Depot or Lowes to get the new controller. Make sure that you buy an Orbit controller.

5. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh and can I order some internet service form you too? I need some super fast dial up. Like 56.6K :)

6. Autoflow

Autoflow LawnSite Member

That's the problem there. You think the electrical issues are with the timer, but you should know if the electrical issues are with the timer before you say it is the cause of the problems you are having.

If they want to replace the controller it's all good, but don't expect replacing it to fix the other issues you probably have. You could verify other potential issues very quickly once you learn how to use a multi meter.

Good on you for working at your age, but I think you need to pull up the handbrake and let an experienced person troubleshoot the electrical issues while you observe and learn.

7. sps2868

sps2868 LawnSite Member
    from ATL, GA

Sounds like it would be best for you to have a 'mentor' assist you (on site training). Also wouldn't be a bad thing for you to go to a fully functioning system and spend a day or two learning (playing) what a multi meter can do for you, also a station master, and while at it play with a wire tracker. As a professional your answer should never be 'I Think'....

But from time to time all of us run across really weird stuff and need to ask other professionalls for insite.. Keep playing (practicing) and hopefully you get the irrigation bug (hard) and stick with it. I find it very enjoyable and each day I am tested in a new way..

:cool2:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i agree totally

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

If you decide that you are in over your head contact me and I'll try to help you out.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

a controller with actual glass fuse protection in the output path NEVER blows those fuses due to malfunction of the controller circuitry

replace a controller for no good reason, and you will lose a customer for all time, when they realize the replacement didn't solve system problems