New 19 kaw. still using oil.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by QualityLawnCare4u, May 6, 2005.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I got my JD 717 back last Thursday with a new short block and the problem it had is now worse. The problem it had was every day when I cleaned the air filter their was oil in the carb, not a huge amount but enough to notice. After arguing for 2 years the dealer finally agreed to put me on a new short block right before warranty expired. I have had it back a week and checked it today and their was at least a tablespoon of oil in the carb and it was about a pint low. I dont know what else to do except live with this problem or go back to Kohler (which I never had problems with). I will add the engine runs fine with no problems just always had oil in carb since brand new. Any suggestions? Fixer67 or anyone?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a crankcase breather problem,If you had the same problem before, when they shortblocked your engine they reused all external parts and in most cases the crankcase breather also.

14yr. Master Service Technician

3. QualityLawnCare4u

You are probably correct about the crankcase breather problem. Another poster here, fixer67, said something about that when I first posted last year about it. I still dont know what to do to fix it and neither do they.

4. Restrorob

It's a little hard for me to remember all the details of all the engines I work on,but if you will post me your model and spec. numbers I will go to my service manuel and see if we can put this problem to rest.

5. QualityLawnCare4u

Thanks, I ll get the flash light and see if I can go get it right now.

6. QualityLawnCare4u

restrorob, I could not find a number on the engine anywhere, the only number I found was the mower # tco717xo20842. The engine is a 19 kaw. v twin.

7. Restrorob

Ok ,It's just gonna make it a little harder but I'll see what I can find.
    I'm off tomorrow but I'll go in and check it out in the morning and post back.

8. QualityLawnCare4u

Thanks, I will see if I can find the engine number, did not see one anywhere, and Im for making things as easy as possible.

9. Restrorob

Ok I'll check in here before I leave in the morn.

10. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Kaw had a problem with this. The fix was a new style air filter housing. All the thing different was it had a small piece of metal the redirected the crankcase vent gases in to the carb throat to be burned and kept it off the filter. You can fix this your self by cutting a piece of tin and placing it the air filter housing at the point the vent hose from the crankcase breather enters the air filter housing so the vent gases are sucked into the carb and burned off. All engine vent oil fumes and crankcase gases and some times they end up on the are filter if the crankcase breather is does not enter the air cleaner housing right.