New 200 Series Toro ZTRs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NoWalk4Me, Jul 31, 2003.

1. NoWalk4Me

NoWalk4Me LawnSite Member

Just got a peek at the new Toro Z Master that is to replace the 200 series, I think they will now be labeled as 500's (not sure). Was at my local Toro dealer today and saw a 20HP Kohler w/ 52" deck. I guess they will still make the 100 series with the 52" but this was the "big" series. Looks quite a bit different with a black floorboard area that hinges from the rear for deck access (it actually clears the foot assist this way). Also, moved controls from below/in front of seat to the left fender for easier access. That area behind operators legs now has an oblong open "box" that would hold a sub-sandwich or something....not sure exactly what??? It has thick control arms that are probably twice the diameter of previous models. Most of these things are cosmetic but the biggest functional difference is the deck. The SFS has been ditched for the new and improved Turbo Force that really looks like an improvement. It is 7 guage all over and has a 7 guage reinforcement on the front edge of the deck. Kind of impressed by the fact that Toro was able to bend the front top deck edge (rather than weld) even though it is 7 guage. The deck is also 5.5" deep (kind of sounds like they learned a thing or two from sister/brother Exmark and the famed UltraCut) and offered in 52", 60"(like Exmark) and 72". The blades are now 1/4 inch and the discharge shoot is rubber/plastic. That's all I can recall except for the rollbar that has been added. It can be removed altogether with a couple of bolts (4, I think) or just folded down with a pin type setup. Prices were mentioned to be $75 to $400 more depending on the exact model, but the Toro rep made it sound like a deal because the ROP is usually a $500-600 option, so you get all the improvements and the ROP for an effective savings!!! All in all it looks like the Toro fans will be in for a good machine.

Too bad I am quite happy with my mean yellow Hustler Super Z that has many of the same features already plus an air-ride seat for a whole lot less money. Not to mention the best warranty in the industry! Check your local dealers as this was a demo they will have for the next week.
  2. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

When does it come out? Got any pics?
  3. DaveVB

DaveVB LawnSite Member

It comes out tomorrow on the web. Deck features that I remember are, 9"- 6 bolt cast iron spindles with 1' solid high grade metal shafts, adjustable baffles toward the discharge side under the deck that allows for 50+ mph air movement versus the current 11 or 12. My boss mentioned just before I left, the liquid cooled one would run in the $9k's.
  4. NoWalk4Me

NoWalk4Me LawnSite Member

Sorry RVSuper no pics or info on the release date. I haven't moved into the digital camera era yet. Also, DaveVB is correct about the new spindle set-up being more of a hoss. I guess I came in on the second half of the distributors "smoke over" with the dealer as I wasn't aware of the adjustable baffles...great idea though. I'll be checking the web tomorrow as I have run a 20HP/52"SFS Hydrowalk for 2.5 yrs and like Toro products and my local dealer as well. Guess I'm a bit of a machine freak!
  5. challenger55

challenger55 LawnSite Member

with the turbo force deck will it recut the clippings or not and with the baffles being ajustable does that mean it can do both
  6. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes!! I just saw the new Z500 at a Toro dealer today. He gave me some literature and it says " In long, dense grass or wet conditions that typically reduce mowing speed, simply open the front baffle to conserve power and achieve faster mowing speeds. When mowing in less demanding conditions, close the baffle to yield micro-sized particles and maximize discharge velocity. Or choose the perfect in-between setting that's right for your conditions." Looks like Toro was getting tired of getting their butts kicked by their sister company Exmark !! Dealer said he's tired of seeing all the Exmark's and wanted a piece of the pie. I think he might have a mower that will go head to head w/ the Lazer. Dealer offered me a demo, I'll try it out next week and post the results.
  7. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

This machine is available. My dealer here has sold 4 in the first 3 weeks he had them. I was not real impressed with Toro Z's until I saw one of these cutting. Dealer cut 5 foot tall trash as well a maintained lawn. This machine did a nice job on both. You should have seen it run through the tall trash. He opened up the baffle on the tall junk and it just plowed though it.

I owned a Toro Z for about 3 moinths before I sold it to buy an Exmark. Was very dissapointed with the first issue of a Toro Z, very happy with my Exmark. The Toro did cut wet grass and grass with high moisture content better. Let's face it, Exmark will clump up a storm in anything remotely wet. My Exmark is hard to beat on my centipede and St. Augustine lawns though. This deck gives you the advantage of both worlds. The front baffle is adjustable so you can have the SFS deck or the baffled deck like an Exmark.

It also comes standard with the Z stand and foot assist deck lift. These machines are pretty impressive. Exmark might just have some competition .

8. challenger55

challenger55 LawnSite Member

do you know if the turbo force deck is on the w/b yet cause i'm about to buy one
  9. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) Hum ill have to call my dealer and see when he's getting the new Masters in. Ive got a 62" with the SFS deck that doe's a fine job sure sounds like this machine is nicer with the baffels and deeper deck on the back side my front is 5-1/2 , i have to agree they do mow well in wet or dewie grasses......Marks Mowing Service

family 117.jpg
  10. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

Is there any info on the internet about this?