new 2000 f-250

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Evan528, Jun 17, 2000.

1. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

i have been truck shopping for sometime and have been going back and fourth between the chevy 2500 and the ford f-250 many times. Yesterday at a dealer they had a 2000 f-250 extended cab xlt... beutiful truck fully loaded... i fellin love with this truck. i was going to wait aother month and order a 2001 to have it by october but the salsman said he would make it worth my while to buy the 2000 beause they want to get rid of there 2000's. The price is $32,000 but figure i i can get it for 28,000 im going to get it. what do you owner like and dislike about your new f-250's? this is a very big decision for me so i need all the help i can get. thanks in advance for your help.

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Evan, I have a 99 Ford F250 and it's GREAT! I traded my 96 Dodge gas truck for the F250 with Powerstroke and I'm saving $100.00 a month in fuel! Great power, strong truck, good fuel economy 12.5-13 mpg towing, 16.5 city, and 20.97 highway.<p>BUT BEWARE.....some PSD Fords, mostly the 2000 models have a problem called cackle. It causes a loud &quot;knock&quot; sound from the #8 cylinder due to lack of fuel. Most people who have the cackle are very unhappy with the problem. <p>I would check here http://www.ford-diesel.com/downloads/index.php3 and click on cacklemove and stop .wav files and listen, if the truck make that sound you may want to avoid that truck because Ford can't seem to find a fix for it.<p>And for what it's worth consider looking at a crew cab, what a difference! Sit in each before buying. You can find out much more info about the Ford's at http://www.ford-diesel.com<br>Ray<p>----------<br>Ray Kirby - Kirby's Cuttin' Edge Lawn Maintenance<br>Home Page, My Truck, Lawn Photos<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: KirbysLawn

3. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I would love a new truck! How do you guys justify spending all that money. I have a 98 F-150. Wish I had a 3/4 ton but $$$

4. Hello:<p>The ford truck with the Power Stroke Diesel is by far the best out there!!!!!<p>Don't believe me, go find anybody that hauls horses around with the big gooseneck trailers & ask them.<p>When going up hills pulling heavy loads the Ford Power Stroke Diesel passes the rest of them by far!<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/

5. Take a look at a GM 3500 HD Chassis cab.<br>About $20k. Payload cap is 3-4 tons.

6. KirbysLawn

accuratelawn, I WAS spending $270.00 a month on fuel when it was $1.10 a gallon, I'm NOW spending $160.00 a month and it's $1.45 a gallon. My new truck payment is $120.00 a month more than my old one, simple math tells you it cost me $10.00 a month to upgrade to a 99 Ford F250 SD PDS. Actually, I'm probably saving $$$ if you convert the fuel prices and I have twice the truck!<p>Ray

7. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

im not even considering a deisel.... for the 4-5 grand more that deisel costs i can buy a whole lot of gas with! also i hate the noisyness and smell of a diesel engine! i would love a crew cab but im already up to a 32,000+ truck.... plus very rarly will i have people sitting back there.

8. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Kirbyslawn,<br>Your high amount of fuel use was just on your truck? or truck and all other equipment together?

9. KirbysLawn

TRUCK. I drive between 1800-2000 miles per month. My 99 truck has 42658 miles on it today.<p>Ray

10. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Forget about the Chevy until they come out with the new model. If you're not plowing with it the 3500HD is an option, but it's not a pick-up and I don't think they're available XtraCab.<p>You're in the same boat I am, but I'm going to get a 2001.