1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New 2003 Scag line-up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkid, Oct 2, 2002.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Today I finally got my new 2003 Scag products brochure. There a a couple new things added to 2002 products.

Sabre Tooth- Nothing new

Turf Tiger- 52" Kohler 27 hp
    61" "
    61" Kawasaki 29 hp digital fuel injection
    72" "

Cub- 52" Honda 24 hp
    Hell Yeah 61" Kawasaki 25 hp

Cougar- Nothing new

Sthm- Nothing new

SWZ & SWZU hydros- 52" Kohler 18 hp
    handlebars were lengthened 3" to make handling , more easier and comfortable for taller operators.

SW- new 32" deck w/ 12.5 Kawasaki
    48" Kawasaki twin 17 hp
    52" Kohler 18 hp

Other new accesories- new Vac similar to Peco Vac for riders,
    cup holder, trailer hitch

That's all there is too it folks. I'm looking into that new 61" Cub though. Or that new 52" Kohler 18 hp for the SWZ. :D
  2. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the news Lawnkid....I have not got my 2003 stuff yet:(

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Talked to my dealer who deals in Walker, Yazoo, Scag and Ferris and he said that there will be limited quantities of the Scag 29 EFI LC. I am interested in it but the air filtration system doesn't look real great from the pictures. He gave me a price of about 10,500 for the 61.
    Just checking the new line ups. The accountant said I can buy.:D
  4. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

mow ed, that seems a little high for that mower, I was qouted around 9200 for that mower. There is really not that much difference between the 27 kawi LQ or the 29 DFI, they have the same size block and same torque, the only thing different is two more horses and the 29 is going to have alot more electronics on it, means more trouble. I have demoed the 29 and the 27 and there is really that much difference.That is my .02.
  5. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Dang I actually wish my SWZ handle bars were abit taller for me but ah well isnt that bad. My 17 Kawi on it is plenty of power.
    Though I have sat on a new Turf Tiger and the deck lifts are alot easier to use, almost feel like I am laying down while mowing, comfy seat too. But man 29hp EFI wow that will mow some grass alright. And the Cub with a 61inch deck:eek: Thats getting a bit big for that small of machine, might as well spend the money on a Turf Tiger.
    That bagging system that they are making looks almost exactly like Peco, talked with the dealer about one of them and they said "late spring" and the price of them will be a bit higher than the Peco's.
    They should come out with a stripping kit too sometime.
  6. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

The new clamshell bagger will cost around 2000, that is what my dealer told me.
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

yardman, thanks for the reply
    I thought that was a little steep also especially since they make the machine in Mayville Wisconsin and the last time I checked I was in this state.
    He did give me the same price on a bagger that you have, I am assuming that it is a clamshell. I am not really sold on the Scag yet, I am really leaning towards Exmark or Hustler.
  8. bad_chad48

bad_chad48 LawnSite Member

you guys are wrong... scag has changed a couple of things on their mowers. (1) the hydro pumps are bigger on the 2003. almost double the size of the 2002 mod. Not all of the 2002 mod has the hydrolic cooling system. the 2003 does. Also, some of the 2002 mods have two springs as a helper to lift the mowing deck but I think all of the 2003's will have it.I just bought a 2003 scag turf tiger and I was comparing the two mowers because I could of gotten the 2002 for $7800 and the 2003 for $8000. If there was not going to be any difference between the two mowers, I would have saved my $200 bucks and got the 2002. $200 would of bought a couple of sets of blades. The larger hydro pump I think is worth the extra $$$. Less chance of a blow-out.
    But like I said, these changes were on the 2003 scag TT, I am not sure about the other mowers.

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

I looked at a new tt with 29efi at a local show and it uses a new style pump but it is still only a 10cc pump just like the old ones. The salesman told me that you could order a donaldson for the efi engine!
  10. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Actually the new 2003 Turf Tigers have 16cc Pumps on them. Talked with a Scag Representitive when i was at the CONEX show in Milwaukee. He showed me the old style pumps like the one i have on my 2001 model and the new pump, and it does look alot bigger. I think also all new Turf Tigers come with hydro oil coolers, that's what was in the 2002 brouchers. In anycase the new brand of TT's should be even better than the older ones. Someday Ill get a newer style one but not for along time, lets hope:rolleyes: