New 2006 Scag Tiger Cub vs New 2005 Exmark Lazer HP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jdlynch, Apr 23, 2006.

1. jdlynch

jdlynch LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I am considering a 19 hp 48" Tiger cub, 2006 with a velocity deck. I am also considering a 2005 exmark 20hp 48 Lazer HP with the trivantage deck.

From reading the posts on Lawnsite.com, I now have concerns about both of these models. I was originally intent on the exmark until I read the concerns about how difficult it is to do routine maintenance on the Lazer HP because of not being able to access components very easily. Everyone seems to agree on the Exmark giving an excellent cut though.

So, then I considered a 2006 19hp 48" Tiger Cub. Everyone sweems to agree it is well built with a well thought-out design. However, there seems to be concern with the quality of cut with the new velocity deck. Some posters refer to Scag as a "has been" company with inferior cutting decks.

Needless to say, the posts I have read have filled me with doubt. I realize some people make comments only because of negative bias towards anything except the brand they own. However, I also realize the people on this forum are very knowlegable due to extensive commercial experience with these machines.

:confused: So, Does anyone have any opinions as to which of these two mowers is the better choice? They both seem to have some trade-offs. Scag: Inferior cut with velocity deck. Exmark: Difficult to do routine maintenace due to poor engineering. As far as dealers go, both have fairly equal representation in my area. I can get the Tiger Cub for about $300 less though (not a significant difference). Any comments to help ease my concerns?

I realize the ultimate decision is my own, but, I highly regard the opinions from those on this forum due to the experience of the members.

Thanks guys for your comments. I feel you are helping me make an informed decision rather than a costly mistake.

2. Quality Cuts PLS

Quality Cuts PLS LawnSite Member

Don't let your concerns regarding the LHP keep you from buying a great machine. Routine maintenance is relatively simple. The quality of the machine and the cut are impressive. I owned a LHP 44/20Koh with mulch kit, and comfort ride suspension plate. One of the best pieces of equipment I have purchased. Maintenance intervals are not scheduled for every day, usually after each oil change, or once a month, some once a year. Check out the interval list in a copy of the manual online. All lube points are easy to get to with a flex hose grease pump, and with the proper wrench/socket setup (socket with socket cap and combination wrench, hose extension), oil changes are painless. Deck adjustment, while the instructions are a little confusing, is easy once you understand whats going on. Keep oil and air filter changed regularly, hydro fluid once a season, and you should not have any problems. I had mine for two years and never had an issue. I can recommend this product with no reservations. If you have any other questions, ask away.

3. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

I am a big scag fan and i would buy the lazer. I had a demo of both machines and the 19 scag is underpowered. I would go with the 23 hp lazer. I would even stay away from the 20 lazer. The exmark cut very nicely.

4. Quality Cuts PLS

Quality Cuts PLS LawnSite Member

The 20hp Kohler is only available on the 44 and 48 inch decks. It is enough power for those sizes. The 20 also gets good fuel economy. The 23 is available only on the 52. The only issues I had was a couple of weeks of heavy growth in the spring with the mulch kit - just go a little slower through it. Don't knock it just because it dosen't have a huge engine, there are more factors involved - mulch or side discharge, type and sharpness of blade, height of cut, grass conditions,etc. FWIW the best blade for me was the notched foil high lift, even with the mulch kit. There are about five different types of blades offered for the tri-vantage decks.

5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

The lazer HP Tri-Advantage, is a very good mower,we have the 52 inch 23 horse models.Side discharging the HP stripes and cuts our cool season turf very good.It stripes excellent, stock without a striping roller I might add.One negative,in heavy conditions the deck tends to plug fast.We put ultra vac's on em, for smaller suburban leaf clean-ups.We don't mulch grass with them,so I can't comment on their mulching ability.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I guess our grass is much easier to cut in the south than east because I have never had any problem with our Scag 48" with 20HP Kohler and we mulch. In fact we never had any problem with our Scag Cougar 48" which is 7 years old and I know this new Scag is MUCH better due to blade speed. I don't know about other units but maintenance is no problem on this Scag. I also see a lot of exmark on trailers in our area.