New 2008 Commericial Lawnboy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, May 8, 2008.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering if anyone has purchased the new 2008 Commercial lawnboy with the honda engine? What have your experiences with the machine been?

2. KingMoneyNYC

KingMoneyNYC LawnSite Member

my dealer keeps pushing this same mower....i'd rather just have the Honda mower

3. totallawncare25

totallawncare25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

FYI they arent commercial mowers they are the troybuilt or cub cadet equals to lowes and homedepot

4. BillWil

BillWil LawnSite Member

I took a very close look at them. The Honda engine isn't the full blown commercial engine, and the drive train looked a little weak to me, it depends on a variable slipping belt to control the speed. You squeeze the handle to make the belt tight and how hard you squeeze impacts the tightness. the tighter the less slippage, and thereby the speed.

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Why do make this assessment? What are the features that make it so? And, why does it not make it a machine for commercial duty?

I have looked at them, considered them, and may still buy one. The machine seems to be an enigma -- many people have talked about them, asked about them, but this Forum has yet to see a review of experience.

The engine (GSV) is the mid-line of Honda series, an OVC engine. It is an uptick from the GCV, which is mounted on the consumer models of not only LB, but other brands as well. The major differences (as I understand) are bearings on top and bottom of crankshaft, large air filter, cast iron liner. The GSV has been used on other equipment for some time now.

The top of the line Honda (GXV) is an OHV engine, a different design.

I share the concern expressed in the above post about the ground drive mechanism. I would like to try one for a day to understand how well the "variable speed drive" handles. It operates just as stated above, belt slippage, just like the Toro and other "personal pace" mowers. I have talked with others who use single speed mowers, and they say it will work fine. The belt slipping idea is not something to be concerned about. But, I still have reservations.

I know many users of the Toro Proline models keep their machine in gear #3, and control a lower speed with an intermediate position of the ground drive bail, thus slipping the ground drive belt. This machine would operate the same way. I now use a three-speed LawnBoy, and keep the ground drive belt tight, changing speeds with the gearbox.

Since I do extensive bagging, that function is very important. I am concerned about the flat area at the bottom of the discharge chute coming from the back of the machine, into the bag. I've talked with a consumer who has a consumer model (same deck design, but stamped steel, not cast aluminum), and he assured me "it works great." However, I am doubtful he mows in the same kinds of conditions I would expect to encounter.

The mower is of great interest to me because of the weight (about 90#). The Honda may be a great machine, but at 122#, it is simply too heavy for us to handle. I already have a Toro Proline 21" at 120# or more, but it is only a secondary machine (too heavy for primary machine). There aren't any other mowers that come in at 85-90#. My present LB (staggered wheel commercial model) is about 85#.

6. totallawncare25

from TN

Roger there is no shame in buying what you can afford, I on the other hand buy exmark Lazer Z's with the EFI Kohler for 9700.00 and forget about it..

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. Being affordable is not the issue at all. I would be happy to spend $1,200 on a Honda, if it didn't weigh 122#. I have run out of options for a 90# mower, hence the interest in this machine. Money is not the issue.

I'm not sure how a 60" Lazer Z answers the problem.

8. totallawncare25

from TN

I guess we were all mistaken. I was under the impression joed was refering to the ztr and not a push mower. Clearly you are refering to a push mower and now i understand.. Nothing was never clarifed until now.
    STILL LOVE MY 60" LAZER THOUGH

9. totallawncare25

from TN

have you checked out the snapper's with a kawasaki engine ?? they are a little heavier then the LB but most certainly a commercial unit for about 700 bucks. I think i gave 649.99 for mine about a year and a half ago

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I did look at a Snapper a couple of days ago when I was at the dealer picking up a LB part. I think it may be a bit heavier, and I should look more closely at the specs. I had only a minute while somebody was getting my part. Having a 20+ year old Snapper, the discharge chute for bagging looks exactly the same now as then. It was my first mower for commercial work, and I liked it in many ways. The biggest drawback was the size of the chute coming back to the bag -- subject to clogging in heavy bagging conditions. The LB with the side bagger is soooo good for our conditions. The other quick observation looks like the chute requires tools to make a change from bagging to discharge -- am I right? I think the price tag on this one was $749, or something similar. Oh yes, it looks like it is the non-KIA Kawasaki engine, despite having an oil filter. I don't know how much difference that makes. The KIA engine is used on the new Toro Prolines.