1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

New 2009 Toro 52" Grandstand for $6000?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dabtro96, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Dabtro96

Dabtro96 LawnSite Member

Any thoughts on this price? It's a new machine from a local dealer. All factory 'mandated' updates have been done. Not sure what all of them are but that's what the salesman told me.
    Any input is appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Keepin' It Green

Keepin' It Green LawnSite Member

I just bought a 2009 Grandstand for the same price. I was told that dealers have loans for their mowers for two years. When the two years are up, and they still have the mower, they want to sell it as soon as possible so they do not have to keep paying on them. I was also told that the engine on the 2009 is better than the ones on the 2010 and 2011. It is a stronger built and has a stronger built air intake. My dealer did all the updates. They only difference between the 2009 and 2010-2011 is the grease fittings on the pulleys. They are on the side of spindles and not the top of them like the 2010-2011. I have been using mine for a couple of weeks now and I love it. I would go for it. Also, you can mow for a non-profit agency and receive 28% off Toro Mowers. You just have to develop a contract to prove they are non profit. Ask your dealer about it.

3. Dabtro96

Dabtro96 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. It seems like a pretty good deal to me. Non-profit pricing? Never heard of that. I have several accounts under contract that are non-profit businesses. I suspect that that pricing is for the actual N.P. business purchasing equipment but I will ask the salesman tomorrow anyway. thanks again.

4. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

What are some examples of non profit commercial places to cut?

5. Tall Rider

Tall Rider LawnSite Member

Its actually Toro Fleet pricing. Instead of having to buy two or three machines depending on what models you choose based on a points system. Non-profits AND the contractors who cut them can qualify with one machine for the 28% discount off MSRP. This is something Toro does for its dealers as a reimbursement program. Toro pays the dealer back for the machine then sold at under dealer cost. Churches and all sorts of places qualify. Hope this helps. Family member sold a Toro G3 29HP 60" last fall to a school district and they qualified for the 28% discount.

6. Dabtro96

Dabtro96 LawnSite Member

Churches are my main not for profit customers... I will check into the program and report back. Now I need to find out what MSRP is for the machine (2009 52" grandstand 24hp).

7. Tall Rider

Tall Rider LawnSite Member

Im not positive what if any changes there are to the fleet pricing on hold over equipment. The dealers "flooring" on the unit is most likely up and thats why the unit has such a nice price. It would be interesting to find out why this unit has not sold? When you go to your dealer ask if Western is your area Toro distributor and if they will also offer incentives on the unit. I know they do quite often on demos and they may offer you an even better deal :usflag:

8. KCLawnTamers

KCLawnTamers LawnSite Member

Do not buy a grandstand. Junk. They have major control issues. The cables break all the time. If you want that type of mower, buy the exmark. Same style machine but they fixed al the issues on there machine.

9. Dabtro96

Dabtro96 LawnSite Member

Well I made a few calls today and found a local dealer that'll sell a 2011 Exmark Vantage 52" for $6400. So this machine is $400 more than the 2009 Toro but it has the issues resolved (or so I'm told). I think I'm now leaning toward the Exmark. Price seems good to me.

10. Keepin' It Green

Keepin' It Green LawnSite Member

I heard Toro and Exmark come off the same assembly line. Whether Toro owns Exmark or Exmark owns Toro all depends on which dealership your at and which product they carry. Looks like the biggest difference between the two is the deck. Good luck with whichever you go with!