1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

New 2011 Hustler Super Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by swim, May 8, 2011.

1. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

I was going to PM a few of the guys that have been using the new 2011 Hustler Super Z for awhile, but thought I might get more info in a new thread.
    I am about to buy a new mower this week I have been running Super Z,s for over 4000 hours and was wondering how everyone is doing with theirs. How is the large engine doing in tall thick grass and how is the fuel 37 hp or 31hp? My 2 current Super Zs have 27hp Kohlers but sometimes need a little more power. I demoed a scag turf tiger last week with the Briggs 35, and I liked it allot, will be demoing a Super Z sometime this week. Any experience with the older Super Z on hills compared to the 2011, does the new one hold hill as good? How much did yours cost? Any information would be great.
    Thanks swim

2. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

I can comment on a couple points. Just dropped off the 2010 super z to get a new throttle cable and picked up a demo 2011 super 31kawi 60 inch deck. This is the exact same combination as the 2010.

The deck on the new one is superior in almost every way to the xr7 deck. Discharge in thick, wet grass is nearly flawless. Traction is as good or better - although it will lift the front more easily. The new frame is very stiff and the ride suffers drastically with the no-flat front tires and standard seat without suspension. The new one is sucking down fuel compared to the older one and feels less powerful but this motor has only about 10 hours on it so that should improve over time. This deck is very, very similar in cut quality and discharge to the scag velocity deck - I do have an '07 turf tiger to compare.

3. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

What engine was on your old Super Z that burns less fuel? My 31 Kawi burns about 1.5 gph on a 61" deck.

So if it had the suspension seat and flex forks would you consider it as good or better than your TT? I would get rid of the flat free tires I hate them.

4. Kreios

Kreios LawnSite Member

In march I bought a new super z 66" cut and with a 37 Kawasaki on it. The cut is very clean. It mows through thick and wet grasswith no problem and seems to have alot more vacuum than my exmarks. All the rain that we have had this past month I haven't even had issues with clumping. With the suspension seat and the flex forks the ride is very smooth. I got almost 100hrs on right now and it's using 2gal. An hour in gas. I paid $10600 and that included flex forks and a hitch.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Tall Rider

Tall Rider LawnSite Member

Wow your dealer basically gave you that mower, good buy

6. Kreios

Kreios LawnSite Member

I have always bought my trimmers and blowers from him and he has wanted me to buy a mower from him for ever since I got in the business but I never heard anything good about the xr7 deck so wouldn't. I tried this new model and was very pleased and the warranty is hard to bet anywhere. Everything on this machine is beef up is like a freaking tank. Come to tn I could get him to cut you a deal.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

It is a sad day when somebody says $10,600 for a simple mower is a good deal.

8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

it is a good deal for that particular mower lol

9. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice machine but I dont like how the grease fittings are below deck. They need a fuel guage. Don't like the clear side to see if you have fuel. Machine seems to sit higher than old Z. I do like the double capture anti-scalp wheels.

10. DCT

DCT LawnSite Member

How is the 2011 super z 60" with 31hp on hills? Anyone have a bagger on one of them? interested in power on hills with bagger.
    Thanks