New 2011 silverado hd

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 02DURAMAX, Feb 11, 2010.

1. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds pretty good to me but I agree with SFL about all the emisson equipment on the newer diesels.

2. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

It looks nice; now I'm glad that the Chevy dealer near me sells vehicles for less than the other brands' dealers.

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Yah, looks nice but my 03 Silverado 2500HD is still a baby..only 35k miles on it. I can't justify buying a new truck.

I hope the ride quality is still good. Love the ride of mine for something that will tow 10k pounds. Did they ever fix the intermediate steering column problem?

4. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Did the 2500's have that problem too? Mine has been replaced 3 times on my 1500. Dealer says there covering them to 70k regardless of age. Mines an 03 as well.

5. bwlpm

bwlpm LawnSite Member

i can't wait til the 2020 models are out so that i can afford a 2011 they are super nice.:laugh:

6. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Yes they did. Mine was replaced once and is starting to rap again at only 35K miles. I read somewhere that people were doing a temporary fix by injecting a high viscosity grease. My cousin has a 1500 and just had to have his done again. He told me it was around $200. I hadn't heard that they were covering to 70K. The only other problem I've had with mine was the ABS brakes engaging at low speeds...dealer took care of it because there was a bulletin out on it...corrosion problem I believe. It's been a good truck!

7. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

My '05 HD 6.0 has the steering problem too. Been an awesome truck besides that, but dealers say they will fix it for life of the truck. Mine has 20K miles. (for sale probably too)

And I agree also about the new emissions. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on an '09 GMC 2500 diesel until I read about the poor mileage. Screw that, I get poor mileage now. So I'm looking for an '03-'07 old body style, LLY or LBZ, low miles, silver.

8. Moto52

Moto52 LawnSite Member

Well once the factory warranty is up on any of the newer diesels you can strip the emissions junk off which is just the exhaust and get a new program on the computer and it will be good for 20mpg. but for any states that you have to get emissions testing you will have to know someone who does illegal ones.. but obviously depending on how you drive sometimes I can get 18mpg and other times 12mpg.

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know what they boxed on the frame but a boxed frame usually isn't repairable it is also a rust magnet so anybody in the rust belt will have problem with frame rust.

10. becpropertymaint.

becpropertymaint. LawnSite Senior Member

i love my 08 3500hd cant wait to get a new one ;)