New 2014 Cat 259D Track loader

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by ClassicLawnCareInc, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

What's the ROC on your machine?

2. ClassicLawnCareInc

ClassicLawnCareInc LawnSite Senior Member

The ROC at 50% is 2900 lbs. Tipping load is 5800 lbs. I installed 300lbs of weights on the rear from CAT that raises this a bit.

3. Doug M

Doug M LawnSite Member

Hate to bump a old thread but I'm replacing a 257B and looking at the 259D. My dealer has quoted me almost the same machine with a 4n1 bucket but he's at $64k. Anybody else priced one lately and if so what is your location? NC here.

4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

:laugh::laugh:

257B?
    What blew up on you? Final drive? Undercarriage? Engine?
    257B runs like smooth butterÂ…but is also as durable as smooth butter! :laugh::laugh:

259D
    tier 4 engine is what is easting up all your money on this baby.

IMHO Id look for a used one with a tier 3 engine from a rental fleet or the like.

Your most likely NOT big enough to get federal tax discounts or be federally mandated to use, or have jobs that require percentages of your fleet to be tier 4 compliant.

With that in mind, a lot of the larger companies and bigger rental fleets (CAT Store, United Rentals etc) have to dump their tier 3's for just that reason.
    Which means you could find a machine with maybe 900-1000 hours on it for 50% of that price or better.

Are you sure you want to pay for a 4 in 1 bucket? Are you actually going to use it?
    I would get a regular bucket and save some $$ , so many people rarely if ever actually use the 4 in 1

If you have extremely rocky soil you work in regularly I would not get a 259/279/299 they have a weakness thats hard for me to explain, but found it quickly during a demo.

Look into a Case or Bobcat CTL

5. Doug M

Doug M LawnSite Member

My machine is still running strong at 2500 hours but it is starting to nickel and dime me. I'm going to keep it for around the shop and as a backup. I'm looking at either a T590/650 also but....with the other Cat equipment I've got they have always done me right. I've demoed all three machines mentioned and I really like the Bobcat but their service department is small (1 man) and I can't afford to be down a machine for extended periods if something were to happen. Price wise with all machines spec'd out about the same the 590 is in line with Cat and the 650 is $71k.

We do both residential/commercial new install and without a 4n1 it would be miserable and labor intensive. I've got a spare bucket but for me that is $3500 well spent.

Thanks for the info on the tier 3/4 stuff.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  6. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

590 is the replacement for the 190

650/70 is a mid frame machine. Just depends on what you're using them for

And yeah you might want to drive up to md lol. Call alban cat or metro bobcat and compare the prices
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell them the truth, they are 10 k to high. Also take into consideration who is offering the lower interest rates

8. Doug M

Doug M LawnSite Member

Both are offering 0 for 60. After a few days in the Cat which is what I've been running for over 10 years I'm going with the Bobcat. I was able to get a millionth anniversary T650 for the price of a standard one. Hopefully I don't regret this a few weeks/months from now.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. ClassicLawnCareInc

ClassicLawnCareInc LawnSite Senior Member

After putting 110 hours on mine I love it. I really don't have any complaints so far. Its done exverything Ive asked and more.

I think its funny though that when I said what I paid for mine more than one person said I could get the price anytime and that it wasn't that great of a deal, but after seeing a few different threads it seems like theve gone up at least 10k some places more for this same machine. Cat had a great sale last Fall on most of their machines.

10. treemover

treemover LawnSite Senior Member

Just got quoted 50,500 fully loaded wide track, 78" bucket. A deere 323 spec'd the same was 15k more... And I am running all deere equipment
    Posted via Mobile Device