1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New 21" for .5 acre

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Mr. Burns, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Mr. Burns

Mr. Burns LawnSite Member

Would like to know thoughts on a new 21" mower for residential use, flat land about .5 acre a few trees. Looked at the Troy-Bilt at Lowes 7hp Briggs (Intek?) for only $349. Looked at Toro 20038/56 around $500. But was most impressed with Snapper Hi-Vac with 7HP Briggs around $550.

I'm replacing a 12 year old Honda 5hp, bag is too small and engine lacks power - new Honda's are way to expensive for what you get IMHO.

Are the Snappers good mowers? What about their rear-engine ridders with baggers??

Help me out, I need a new mower in a few weeks!!
  2. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

What's your budget? New only? You mentioned a riding bagger. Would you be bagging with the 21"? Personally, I would look at something larger than a 21". Especially if you plan to bag.
  3. Mr. Burns

Yes, I would be bagging 85% of the time. I want a 21" for trimwork around house and trees and beds, and then use a small rider (28" to 33" seems perfect) for the rest also bagging. I would like to go through an independent dealer, trying to stay away from Lowes/Home Depot....but money is always a factor. Would like to spend less than $1300 for a riding bagger and less than $650 on a 21" bagger.

I would prefer new, because I keep my machines a long time and would like to know they aren't abused. Would love a ZTR rider, but they are WAY too much money for what I would use it for.

Currently using a wornout 12+ year old Honda 5hp bagger and a 30" 12hp rear engine Murray (total POS, no bag). I don't want to make the same mistake with the crappy Home Depot Murray again.

I want the lawn to look great and be able to cut it fairly quickly.
  4. vtx1300

vtx1300 LawnSite Member
    from OKC,OK

Mr Burns,

I'd still go for a Honda mower/bagger ... I think they are really well built. Next, I'd consider a Snapper probably just because of what I hear about them.

As for your rider, I've just done a ton of research on ZTRs ... but they are out of the price range you've set.... even the smaller ones. So, not sure about tractors but I'd go look around at all of them and research. Probably good choices might be a Deere ... maybe a Sears model ... not sure on those really. We have a 42" Deere and it's a really nice tractor ... so I'd consider one of those again.
  5. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

If I were in your position, I would look at the Quick 36. You can find it on one of the banners at the top of this page. I bet that it would do the trim work just as well as a 21" unless you have very narrow places to get into. You can also put a bagger on it. Later, if you don't want to walk anymore, you can add a sulky. The cost would be about the same as the two machines that you were going to get and now you have something that is commercial quality.

It might mulch so good that you decide that you don't need to bag anymore.
  6. Mr. Burns

Yes the OLD Hondas are nice//but newer ones (that have good engines only 6.5hp) are way too over priced and still have small bags. My old Honda has been a good machine, but it is very slow and tiny bag makes it tiresome to use. I don't think Deere makes anything in my price range with a bag.
  7. Mr. Burns

I can't find the Quick link, but I did find the Exmark 26" and 32". They look pretty good, does anyone know how much for these?????
  8. vtx1300

vtx1300 LawnSite Member
    from OKC,OK

here's the link to the quick machines ... that the poster above made reference too

but i'm guessing you don't want to spend that much.

good luck... btw, my honda harmony is slower too. that's why my friend uses a snapper and he really likes those machines. might go check those out...

not sure on bags though... just mulch so i don't worry about it. but, for 1/2 ac -- that'd be a lot of bagging!
  9. Mr. Burns

Thanks vtx1300! I found the Quick link and love those machines. I'm a little concerned about the "giant bag" sticking out of the side (might whack bushes and trees) but the machines look very durable! Almost makes me want too spring for the extra $$ and get one, fix the old Honda and go from there!!! May have to open my own business in the neighborhood just to pay for it after work!! What you think, 8-10 lawns a week, that should do it!!
  10. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

My dad ran Snapper rear engine riders for 40 years.....In fact his last one will be up for sale starting this weekend. (He died last november....) really they are reliable, simple machines.....