1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

New 21" John Deere- JS40

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Landscape89, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Landscape89

Landscape89 LawnSite Member

I know most will ask why just a 21" and not bigger. I do only about 10 lawns, and this will replace my old Crapsman Hi-Vac mower. So far, after putting it thru a few uses, it outperforms Craftsman in almost EVERY feature!

Picture 1: Side View of mower. 8.75 Torque B&S Intek Engine
    Picture 2: Front view and view of Swivel Wheels
    Picture 3: View from Operators Position, Handle on the left is Ground Speed and Handle on the right is Drive Eng./Dis. Top Speed: 3.6MPH!
    Picture 4: Another feature which I am a fan of. On the two front swivel wheels is the lever to raise the height for the front wheels. Much easier than my Crapsman, as that had a screw you had to pull out and figure out which matched which height to the back. Height Adj. on the Crapsman: 5-8 min, On the JD: 1-2 min! Also, the Crapsman had no grease fittings to grease the casters, and I had quite a few times where they would fail to work. The JD came with fittings and Im very pleased!
    Picture 5: Dont let the picture fool you! For a small vacuum shoot this mower sucks up leaves, wet/dry grass and pine needles with ease! Cuts very nicely too.

*All in all, a HUGE upgrade improvement from the Crapsman. One Pull and it fires right up. Plenty of Power, Excellent Vacuum capability, Not too bad on Fuel Consumption.. IMO a REALLY nicely designed machine! :usflag:

dockwork 100207 059.jpg

dockwork 100207 060.jpg

dockwork 100207 062.jpg

dockwork 100207 063.jpg

dockwork 100207 064.jpg

2. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Very Nice mower. I always thought about getting one with the swivel wheels. PS where did you get your green barrels from, I have always heard home depot but mine doesn't sell them?

3. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

How do you like the swivel wheels? I've never used a 21" with swivels.

4. Landscape89

I got mine at Home Depot as well. They dont sell them in the Lawn and Garden section, I think it was Janitorial supplies section of the store.

5. Landscape89

The Swivels are perfect for mowing around lawn edges and beds. IMO it makes mowing a lot easier, but thats just me!

6. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep your reciept handy! I bought one last year...it lasted 2 weeks, and then it didnt self propel anymore...so I took it back. It could have been i just bought a lemon.

7. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

looks good my home depot has the grenn barrels with the regular trash cans

8. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

same here, i bought one last year and the self propel system is grinding on any sort of a incline now, also my handle that you squeeze snapped,

9. ACEMowing

ACEMowing LawnSite Member

I've heard that the John Deere walks like that are now built by Snapper... they do look a lot like the Snapper Easy Line at:

http://www.snapper.com/easy_line.html

Can you tell by comparing?

10. Landscape89

Yes. Just by looking at the Snapper I can tell it has a very similar design to the JD, as well as most of the features.