New 21"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TimsLawnCareVA, Jun 23, 2008.

1. TimsLawnCareVA

TimsLawnCareVA LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking to purchase a new 21" mower this week and was looking for some good recommendations. Leaning towards Toro or Lawnboy.

2. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Are you looking at higher end home owner or commercial grade?

3. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

if you need commercial grade,dont get Honda,paid 1100.00 for one and drive shaft broke in 3 months.

4. TimsLawnCareVA

Leaning towards the high end home owner. Trying to stay within $500-$700.

5. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

there are no high end homeowners,that's why they are homeowner models.500-6oo dollars will get you a reliable machine if your not gonna use it all the time or most of the time or half of the time.

6. TimsLawnCareVA

I only need it on a handfull of yards. It might see 2 hours of use a week.

7. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

I would have to disagree on no high end home owner push mower. Compare the quality of the 145-200 buck mower to the some of the other more expensive home owner push mowers that are not MTD.

I have a 21 Toro Proline Commercial Mower. One spring it was having problems, wouldnt run, talked to my mechanic friend who said it sounded like it was going to need some serious work. Had to have a mower right then and was thinking of buying a back up anyway. So I went out to my dealer and bought a higher end snapper because I had had Snapper push mowers before and was really happy with them. Mine came with a 7 horse power brigs engine and a was self propelled using the system they been using for years. I got the Ninja blade on it and it mulched better then my Proline. At that point I only needed it for a few lawns, but I needed it right then. That ended up being my last season and I never did take the time to fix my Proline, which Im thinking about doing this summer. The only feature I did not like on my new snapper compared to the old snappers I had owned was the wheels did not look as well built as the olds ones - looked like they used more plastic. One of the first places your going to have problems is with the wheels. That and it was not nearly as heavy as my proline so it bounced around on the lawn a lot, because I did not dilly dally with regards to the speed I cut lawns. But the mower worked out great for that last season and now I have too great 21 inch mowers in my garage - one of which still needs repaired and the other one I use on a weekly basis for about a half hour.

I probably would have bought another proline had my dealer had one in stock that day I liked mine so much, but I dont regret my Snapper purchase at all.

8. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

If you want to spend that much and have it be commercial, you need to look at snapper hi vac. one of the better commercial mowers out there. jus becafe when you bag with the snapper cause its clogs easily. i usually reccomend toro heavy duty, but it dosent look like you want to spend 1300 dollars. good luck

9. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I would recommend a honda. Mine has 85 hours on it, and its flawless. I'll be buying another soon. Their pricey, but well worth it imo.

10. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

I just purchased a Toro Super recycler for $535 with the self pace and it's awesome!!It has an aluminum deck and is guaranteed to start on the first pull. No priming or choking, just pull it one time and take off-works everytime. It's my second Toro and i wouldn't even consider another brand.:weightlifter: