new 23 Hp. Kohler using oil?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by steve225, Jul 20, 2005.

1. steve225

steve225 LawnSite Member

I just bought a 23 Hp. kohler for my TTracer . It has 50 hrs on it and is using oil . I have never had a new engine use oil . Every time I start it a puff of smoke comes out . Another guy I know has the same puff smoke on start up also(5 Hrs. on his engine) Has anyone else had this problem W/ a new engine?
    Steve

2. steve225

steve225 LawnSite Member

Someone has to have had a new engine installed before. Kohler said an ounce an hour per cylinder is acceptable. Sounds like a lot to me.

Steve

3. turftammer

turftammer LawnSite Member

my ztr would put out a puff of smoke first thing in the morning. asked dealer he asked if I was leaving trailer on a incline when I unhooked,well I was he said to back mower on trailer or level trailer, problem solved. don't know if this has any relation to your problem

4. steve225

steve225 LawnSite Member

I called the people I bought the engine from and he asked what kind of oil I was using .I told him Castrol 10w-30 .He said to use Valvoline because it was better for air cooled engines. I've used castrol for 25 yrs without a problem. He said there were to many additives in Castrol and they have had better results with Valvoline.

Steve

5. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

it is a new motor. run it for a bit to break in the rings.

that being said, puffs of oil in the moring are usually valve guides. again, run it.

6. flametamer49

flametamer49 LawnSite Member

same here, brand new 20hp Kohler, puffs a little when started just about every time, less than 15hrs.