New $250 boat anchor, er, striping roller... (long)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Rose, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Well I decided to be a guinea pig for Dixon and I ordered a striping roller kit for my Kodiak on monday. It arrived today so I assembled it tonight and tried it out on my lawn. I was skepticle of the whole design just from the picture in the catalog as it appeared to stick out PAST the sides of the rear wheels (why?) Plus it trails at the very back of the machine, not right behind the deck. Thought maybe it had to be better than the pictures... Spent $250 + tax for a wonderful POS I used on my lawn and it now resides on my garage floor!

THis has to be the piss poorest design Iv'e ever seen for a roller... The fact that it hangs past the wheels means it catches on everything when you turn. The roller is weighted, and heavily I might add. Overall it's 70 pounds! It has these 'latches' to hold it in the up position for transport. (ummm, ok, am I supposed to get off the mower every time I leave the lawn and put it up? yes. ha, no way!) Well, don't really have to put it up, cause every time the front rises a few inches before the back the roller hooks into the transport position on its own! really nice... Now I have to kill everything and jump off and get it back down again.

The stripe was not that noticible. My lawn is pretty shaded and dosn't stripe that well reguardless, but it can be seen. Actually the grass looked a little roughed up from the roller dragging over it more than anything.

I also noticed the LACK of ground clearence with the roller. I do MANY lawns with ditches and I have to have good ground clearnace in the back to get thru the bottoms of the ditches. I went to jack up the front to sharpen the blades and was only able to get the front wheels 5" off the ground before the roller was smashed into the concrete! 5" off the floor at the casters translates to about half that at the blade nuts, not enough room to even get my impact wrench under there, let alone work comfortably. :dizzy:

Off it came. I know thee is no way my dealer would take it back, he even told me that when I picked it up today. Looks like I just threw $250 down the toilet :hammerhead:

striper1.jpg

striper2.jpg

striper3.jpg

2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an MTD pro Z that I bought back when I first started out. It had the rollers mounted directly to the rear of the deck.It was not made so you could raise it or remove easily. It did stripe pretty good but when the grass was wet it would collect the clippings and leave big clumps every where.That was my last mower with a striping roller of any kind, I wont use one.

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I did the same thing last year with Kubota's OEM striping roller. The only difference was that Kubota's is $400.

I too told the dealer that the rollers on the outside need to be cut down, that they only need to overlap the inside 1" of the rear wheels, that when you try to "sneak" around a tree, sign, or other object, that the roller would catch it.

Mine is still sitting somewhere at the dealer after I took it off 1/2 way through the first property.

4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to agree, that is one crappy design.For roller's,you can't beat the Exmark\york type rollers, bolted to the deck.

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

A buddy of mine had a JD 727 with the roller on the deck as well. Lays a nice stripe and he said he dosn't even know it's there.

I suppose that with some fabrication I *could* use the roller wheels on the one I bought and the brackets and shorten it and mount it too the back of the deck somehow...

Also suppose I could take my post and email it to Dixon and see what they have to say. Heck, maybe they would want to keep a happy customer and offer to buy it back from me!?