New 27/60" LC not staying sharp

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by huskertaz, Apr 29, 2002.

1. huskertaz

huskertaz LawnSite Member

I just purchased a new 27hp 60" LC Lazer. This machine is unbelievable and is the best out there. There is just one problem I have been having. I live in Nebraska where the bluegrass grows fast and is always sticky and moist in the spring. I sharpen my blades every night or there abouts--about every 6-8 hours. Even when I sharpen the blades, the grass looks like the blades are dull and it rips the grass and makes the tips appear brown. I have a sharpener and even the first yard I do, it still happens. Is this just from the time of year or should I be doing something different? Thanks.
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Thanks for the question. Technically you are always ripping or tearing the grass. The key is to rip it or tear it as cleanly as possible.

I would suggest you look at everything that will effect blade tip speed. Engine rpm, belt slippage, mule drive adjustment, spring loaded idlers etc.

When looking at the belts, check to see if they are getting glazed. They'll have a shine on the sides of the "V" and the surface may seam a little hard if they belts are slipping.

Check the spring-loaded idlers to ensure they are pivoting properly. Lubricate the pivot points until you see fresh grease come out of the bushing.

Engine RPM's should be set at 3750 with the blades engaged on a flat surface.

Your probably dealing wit Tim at J&J so have him take a look at it as well.

Please let me know if we can be of any further assistance.