NEW!- 2nd Annual Maryland Cookout And Competition -NEW!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Richard Martin, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The Second Annual Maryland Cookout and Competition will be held at 1:00 PM Saturday, September 6 at Blobs Park in Jessup Maryland.

The address is:

8024 Max Blobs Road
    Jessup, Maryland 20794

Come on out for a day of fun and food at the Second Annual Maryland Cookout and Competition. Bring your best equipment for the competition because if it's anything like last year we will be splitting hairs to see who wins overall!

And speaking of winning Gambrills Equipment is giving away prizes this year.

First place: Stihl FS80 String Trimmer
    Second place: $50.00 gift certificate
    Third place: $25.00 gift certificate

The Competition includes:

Trimming Events:

Wide Area Trimming
    Trimming Along A Border
    Edging

Mowing Events:

Appearance (Don't take this lightly, this was the difference in winner last year)
    Mowing Around A Triangle
    Stripping And Mowing Efficiency
    Mowing Speed
    Straight Line Mowing
    Fastest Mower

Hot dogs, hamburgers and sodas are on the house! You are encouraged to bring a covered dish!

Vendors should contact George Pusloskie at 410-969-3947.

For competition and rules info contact Richard Martin at 410-798-0432

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

wish I could go to this, going to be down in New Jersey

3. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I sure would like to get in on the trimmer edging competition but that is a little to far for me to drive. Sounds like fun.

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

this event doesnt seem to fit in with the others.....who came up with that idea:dizzy:

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Googlie eyes eh?

The competition is as much a test of machines as it is man. If you show up with a 10.5 B&S powered 50" mower then it's highly unlikely you would win a number of the mowing events. But you could still win the stripping or mowing efficiency contest.

The stripping and mowing efficiency are done at the same time because you have to do both of them to do either of them. The stripping is self explanitory but the mowing efficiency needs a little explaining.

What we do is set up a specified diastance, say 100 feet. You then make a pass down the course and then come back while trying to cut as much of the grass as the deck is capable of. When you done we measure the width of your cut at 3 different point along the 100 foot course and average it out..

Now let's take our imaginary 50" mower. It should cut 50" down and 50" back for a total of 100" of cut. If you actually cut 99" of grass than you did excellant and would probably win that event. But of you only cut 88" then you need a lot more practice.

Last years efficiency winner was cutting with a 60" deck and had an average cut of 117". I cut at 116" with a 60" deck. Not bad for an old guy eh?

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Richard,

Did it happen on Saturday? I haven't heard anything about it for a while.

Was looking forward to pics and results.

:confused:

7. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone get pics of the stripping competition?
    Crawdad ;)

8. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

"Googlie eyes eh?"

Ummm.... I think the googlie eyes were for the stripping part of the equation, we understood the mowing efficiency part. ;)
    How did the event go??

9. Whatdefunk

Whatdefunk LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Well I was there and I started stripping and I got arrested! I thought everyone was gonna strip!! Apparently not, they were STRIPING>>>>>>>Ooops sorry my bad.:blush:

10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I wish I had been able to attend. Please give us some details and post some pictures if you can.

Gravely_Man