1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new 3/4 ton pick up

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by green with envy, Apr 26, 2005.

1. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

Hi guys. we are going to be getting a new 3/4 ton pick up over the next few months I would like your comments on Chevy/GMC or Dodge....
    Sorry you Ford guys, I know too many people who are having major problems with new Fords so they are not being considered.

I think it will just come down to the best deal. Can you Believe it I'm from Detroit and don't have any relatives that work for GM or Chrysler....

Thanks for your input.

2. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I own a dodge 2500 my father owns a Chevy 2500 they are both nice .The Chevy is brand new so we haven't had to deal with any problems.The dodge is a 2000 and has been in for just basic stuff(knock on wood). Personally i like the dodges better.. yes they are known for transmission issues but i believe that isn't as much as an issue with the newer ones.The dodge has a nice roomy interior and feels like a good strong work truck.I also prefer the hood design on dodges.
    I actually like the ford the best, but i too heard they are having problems.The Chevy's is also nice but it seems more luxury than a work truck,The interior has a lot more gadgets to play with and is like being in a nice car.Something i wouldn't want to to get all dirty from landscaping.I don't like the IFS on the Chevy's they all seem to have a sag to the front.. its not really an issue if you dont plow.They are both nice but i would go with a dodge JMO
  3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I don't own either.......but I have been test driving all of them for a while in hopes of a purchase in the near future............I will get a diesel....

Love the Chevy/GMC (GMC front end is much better looking).....it is very quiet and very comfortable.....the crew cab is very roomy.........this is my favorite, but wish it had a solid front axle......

Dodge......excellent turning radius (great for plowing).......but the xcab is a little tight since my truck is also my personal vehicle and I have kids......also I have feeling my wife will not go for the noise of the Cummins......

as stated above the dodge is definitely more truck-like........

4. The Good Earth

The Good Earth LawnSite Member

Honestly, I would not consider either. From my experience anything new rolling out of Detroit is an accident waiting to happen. Personally, if it isn't 10-15 years old, I don't even consider it. I have a 1976 3/4 ton Chevrolet that I will probably pick up in the next week or so. As soon as I pick it up I am pulling every body panel off and pitching what is not worth keeping and sending what is good out for finishing touches. While the body is gone I'll take every mechanical piece off the frame and pitch it or keep it. Then the frame will be sandblasted and undercoated. I have a Vortec 350 with a Ramjet intake to drop in it along with a 4l80 transmission. Intake comes with an ECM so computer issues are covered. Put the truck back together and I have a better than new truck, good for 20 years or so, and I have about $13K in it. If anything goes wrong with it parts are readily available and there are numerous forums on the 'net where people have experience with older GM trucks. And on top of everything else, I think the old GM stuff runs much better and is more reliable than the new stuff.
  5. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The Ford V-10 does not have the problems the diesels have had in the past. The V-10 transmissions are also not affected by those issues either. I agree that buying a new PSD is somewhat of a gamble.

From everybody I've talked to with the new 3 valve V-10, it gets 12-14mpg (compared to the 8.1 Chevy's 6mpg and Dodge's 5.7L 10mpg) and will outright haul buggy--loaded or not, and every single one of them love their new trucks.
  6. Dodgemania

Dodgemania LawnSite Member

DRM if you don't like the noise of the cummins better not get a diesel. The cummins is quieter than Chevy and Ford. You were talking new! Now the pre 03 cummins was way to loud. I've got an 03 with the cummins and it's been next to Chevy and Ford and it's quieter. Not a big difference, but there is a difference.
  7. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

hey bro go over to plow site. theirs awesome people over their too, who will give you a GM number so you can get the supplier discount on a chevy.
  8. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

13k into a 28 year old work truck, not to be a jerk but you're kidding right?
  9. The Good Earth

The Good Earth LawnSite Member

As opposed to $30k in a brand new work truck? Along with the fact that I really don't have any love what so ever for anything new. I just sat down one night and did the math and, for me, it makes more sense to spend the money the way I do. You may see it differently but I don't. Quality and reliability for over half the price. That is my view of it.
  10. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

I guess it's all about what you like. Personally, I don't like to work on vehicles or restore them which it sounds like you will be doing, so I buy newer rigs. Also, with all the rebates and incentives, etc, you can buy a new full size truck with base options pretty resonably, nowhere near 30k actually. In fact 18k will get you a decent new half ton(again decent but no frills) if you work the incentives right, might be a little different now, haven't been truck shopping lately. Nice having a warranty too. Just something to think about before you sink 13k into an old truck. Again, it's all in what you like, and I like new trucks.