New 30" LS Revitalizer arrived late today!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Terraformer, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Terraformer

Terraformer LawnSite Member

We'll I jumped in with both feet. Tomorrow, I will assemble the operator handle, controls and give it a once over. Sounds funny, but the operator handle incorporates several plate counter weights - it's heavy! I suppose it's for balance and ease of control.

In previous posts, I asked for input from anyone using the 30" Revitalizer, but didn't find anyone. Well now you folks can ask me about my experienses using the LS 30" Revitalizer. First impression, last time I saw one was at the October GIE, is this thing is built like a tank. Overall, I like what I see and that includes the 13.5 HP Subaru engine.

Time will tell the story! Some assembly required...

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Please keep us posted. I'd really like to be able to get one.
  3. Terraformer

The Revitalizer is uncrated, assembled and running. The 13.5 HP Subaru is very powerful. Boy does this thing move. When at full throttle, transmission fully engaged and blades deployed 1/2 inch into the ground, I was following at a brisk walk. Sounds like a circular saw whenever it contacts a rock. The torque of hydro drive is impressive - tractor like. Hills won't be a problem.

Got a reseeding job coming up. I'll provide an update afterward.

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

If possible can you take some good pictures of before, during, after (results)? Also some detailed notes of what you noted that would make things easier, etc would be greatly appreciated. I really wanna get one of these within the next 6-12 months.
  5. Terraformer

Will do. Give me some time!
  6. Pistol

Pistol LawnSite Member

can you give a ballpark price - thanks!
  7. Terraformer

Well the weather and the planets came into alignment... finally! This allowed me to use my new Revitalizer commercially. Before I give you the scoop let met set the stage.

The job was 60,000 sq. ft. with lots of trees, borders, and other obstructions. Most of grounds are dense shade to partial sunlight. Seed used was TTTF for partial sunlight and a mix of fescues for the heavily shade areas. Time will tell the story. The property is entirely irrigated, making a spring seeding doable. Lastly, the ground is pretty uneven with many bare spot and light to medium erosion.

What I learned:

The 13.5 Subaru starts on the first pull nearly every time. It has plenty of power and the only time it stalled is when I hit a high spots of thick dense turf with heavy and wet underlying soil. At full throttle and the hydro lever fully engaged you're moving at a very brisk walk.

Much of the time I had the cutting depth set on the 5th position (about 1/2 inch), because I was trying to score the many divots and bare spots, Seed delivery was good, but you have to experiment to get the rate your looking for.

The hydro drive is very responsive/fast, yet smooth. On a special note - I couldn't imagine not having a hydro drive... this thing is heavy! The reverse feature works well and given the weight it's absolutely necessary. Throughout the day I ran the unit 6 times about 45 minutes each time. To put things into perspective, I had only 1 open area of 10k and I seeded it in under 10 minutes. Otherwise I was constantly maneuvering (adjusting direction, reversing, 180's and the like).

Directional Change: This translates into applying straight-line down pressure to the operator handles, along with weight shift/side force, to affect a change in direction - even small ones. The more drastic the change, the more pressure and force needs to be applied, and for longer durations. The operator handle is heavily counter-weighted and it greatly assists in applying startling down pressure - lifting the front wheels of the ground - and permitting a directional change. As time went on I discovered myself doing the cha-cha... yup dancing with it. The cha-cha is applying down pressure (lifting the front wheels) and flitting the hydro control lever between reverse and forward. I found this helpful in making directional changes, but more time and experimentation will be required before I've got it perfected. I'm 6'1" and 190 pounds and I'm wondering if the optional velky will give me more leverage (putting me a couple more inches higher over the handles) and somehow assist weight shift. I know it would be a godsend on straight high speed runs, but I don't know to what degree it will hinder overall maneuverability.

In summary, the Revitalizer get the job done and can be very fast in open areas. Yup, I was tired after wrestling it for the better part of a long day. But I am looking forward to a open area job... should be a breeze compared to this one. That said... if somebody invents a small ZTR slit seeder, with the production rate of the 30" Revitalizer, I'd buy it.

That's all for now.
  8. Terraformer

Five grand.
  9. mg10117

mg10117 LawnSite Member

do you think the 30" model would be practical for smaller properties too...or just the larger ones?
  10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I don't have this exact seeder, but I can answer your question.

I have a 48" OS1548 Landpride Overseeder on a 37hp tractor, and I haven't found a lawn I can't fit on yet. I have been on areas as small as 4K with my big boy!

So I am sure you can use this thing on a postage stamp!